Why wasn't I consulted?! I'm Secretary of State.
你為何不咨詢我的意見 我可是國務卿
You You-you informally send a reactionary dottard to
你非正式地派出一個反動的老糊涂過去
What will happen, do you imagine,when these peace commissioners arrive?
等特使團抵達后 你想象過會如何嗎
We'll hear 'em out.Oh, splendid.
我們會聽聽他們的要求 太妙了
And next the Democrats will invite 'em up to hearings on the Hill,
然后民主黨員 會請他們
and the newspapers, well, the newspapers,the newspapers will ask
和新聞媒體到國會山參加聽證會 媒體還會詢問
why risk enraging the Confederacy over the issue of slavery when they're here to make peace?
既然他們是來求和的 為何在奴隸制的問題上 冒激怒南部邦聯的險
We'll lose every Democrat we've got,
不止保守派共和黨人會加入他們
more than likely conservative Republicans will join 'em, and all our work,
我們還會失去已有民主黨員的支持 而我們所有的努力
all our preparing the ground for the vote,laid waste, for naught.
一切贏得投票的基礎 至此煙消云散
The Blairs have promised support for the amendment if we listen to these people.
如果我們聽取這些人的話 布萊爾家族答應會支持修正案
Oh, the Blairs promise, do they?
布萊爾家族答應了嗎
You think they'll keep their promise once we have heard these delegates and refused them? Which we will have to do,
那些代表的要求 一定是保留奴隸制 而你還指望
since their proposal most certainly will be predicated on keeping their slaves!
我們拒絕這些代表的要求后 他們還信守承諾嗎
What hope for any Democratic votes, William,
如果走漏了風聲說我拒絕停戰
if word gets out that I've refused a chance to end the war?
那民主黨的選票會怎么樣 威廉
You think word won't get out? In Washington?
你認為世上有不透風的墻嗎 華盛頓會有嗎
It's either the amendment or this Confederate peace,you cannot have both.
要么通過這個修正案 要么停戰 魚和熊掌不可兼得
If you can look into the seeds of time,
你若能窺視時間的種子
and say which grain will grow and which will not,
能預知哪一顆能長出金黃的稻麥
speak then to me Oh, disaster. This is a disaster.
那么對我說 災難 這真是場災難
Time is a great thickener of things, William.Yes, I suppose it is.
時間會說明一切的 威廉 是啊 我也覺得
Actually I have no idea what you mean by that.
我都不知道你說這些干什么
Get me thirteen votes.Them fellers from Richmond ain't here yet.
給我弄13張贊成票 里士滿的家伙還沒到呢