We’re Still the Most Profitable Producer
我們仍然是受益最多的生產商
Did you wait too long to come back?
早就等不及要回來了嗎?
I probably could have come back a little bit sooner,
我原本大概可以早一點回來,
but I don’t think I waited too long.
但我并不覺得自己等了太久。
What made you decide to return?
是什么讓你決定回來?
The hoard asked me to come back.
董事會要我回來。
It was clear that we needed to make some changes in the company.
很明顯,我們的公司需要作出一些改變。
I’m actually quite excited to be back—it gives us a chance to reinvent the business.
實際上,我很高興回來——這是一個重新開始我們事業的機會。
We’ve taken a very fresh approach to things.
我們重新接觸一切事物。
We’re willing to question anything, change everything
我們愿意質疑一切,改變一切,
and do whatever it takes to get success and results for our customers,
為我們的顧客、
our shareholders and our people inside the company.
股東和公司內部人員做一切有助于他們成功的事情。
Your profits have been falling for quite a while.
你們的利潤下跌已經有一陣了。
One reason is fairly easy to see:
有一個很顯而易見的原因:
our head count grew by 50 percent to about 80,000 employees
我們的雇員已達到8萬人,增長了50%。
while revenues grew by just 15 percent.
但是收益只增長了 15%。
That’s not a good idea.
這并不是什么好事情。
What were these people hired for?
雇用這么多人從事什么工作?
We’ve been asking ourselves that same question.
我們也問自己同樣的問題。
I think the organization got too complicated.
我認為組織機構太復雜了。
We made it too complicated.
我們把它弄得太復雜了。
The CEO had too many people reporting to him,
有太多的人向CEO匯報工作,
each person reporting to the CEO had an organization to support him,
每位匯報人都有一個支持他的機構,
and then these had their own supporting organizations and so on.
支持機構下面又有機構。
It multiplied out to be a whole lot of people.
機構里“繁殖”出來的人越來越多。
Everyone was well-intentioned, everyone went to work saying
每個人都是出于好意,每個人開始工作的時候都說:
‘We’re going to do great work today,’
“我們今天一定會做得很好!”
but when you add it all up, the structure didn’t work out.
但是如果你把所有的都放在一起看,這種結構并沒發揮什么作用。
Does this mean layoffs?
這意味著要裁員?
I think it’s pretty clear that our head count is going to go down.
很明顯,我認為要減少員工人數。
Do you feel pressured by your shareholders?
有來自股東的壓力嗎?
I’m the biggest investor in the company, so I feel my own pressure.
我是公司最大的投資商,我感覺到的是來自自己的壓力。
Dell used to be the biggest computer maker worldwide.
戴爾曾是世界上最大的電腦制造商。
But last year Hewlett Packard took over and became global market leader.
但是去年,惠普趕超戴爾并成為全球市場的領軍人物。
What makes them more successful than you?
是什么讓他們更成功?
We're still the most profitable producer.
我們仍然是收益最多的生產商。
HP makes money mainly with printers.
惠普主要依靠經營打印機獲利。
Their profit in the PC business is much less than ours.
他們在計算機上的收益遠不如我們,
But they are now number one worldwide, absolutely.
但他們現在確實是世界第一。
Was it a mistake to focus on corporate desktops while laptops gained in importance and increasingly became a must-have entertainment device?
在筆記本變得越來越重要的今天,你是否覺得堅持研發臺式電腦是一個錯誤的決定?
If you look at the growth in the computer market for PCs,
如果你關注計算機市場的增長的話,
it has been bigger in developing countries relative to developed countries,
你會發現,發展中國家的市場要大于發達國家,
bigger in mobile computers, and lower in desktop computers,
便攜電腦大于臺式電腦,
bigger in consumers and lower in corporations.
消費者市場大于企業市場。
Dell has had historical strength in the commercial market in the big, slower growing economies.
在大且緩慢增長的經濟中,戴爾有其歷史力量。
So mobile computers, consumers, emerging markets—that’s where we’re going next.
所以便攜電腦、消費者市場以及新興市場---這就是我們下一步的計劃。