Dell was famous for its low-cost approach—for its direct-sales model via Internet and telephone.
戴爾因其低成本而聞名——采用網絡和電話直銷形式。
Is that still an advantage today?
現在這依然是一個優勢嗎?
We are 10 times more efficient than all our competitors.
我們比所有競爭者的效率高出10倍。
Did some improve?
我們有改進嗎?
Absolutely, but we still have a big advantage.
當然,但是我們仍有很大的優勢。
We think we can even enhance it.
我想我們甚至可以進一步將其擴大。
We’re looking at our entire system and saying, “where do we have overlaps and inefficiencies,
我們關注我們整體的系統并問自己:“哪里有重復和無效勞動,
where can we reduce time and improve speed,
可以在哪節省時間、提高效率,
where have we made it too complicated and not gotten value for customers and shareholders?’
有哪些設計過于復雜卻沒有為客戶和股東帶來實惠? ”
What was your first move after taking over as CEO again?
重返CEO職位后第一件要做的事是什么?
One of the things was to create a kind of amnesty environment.
其中一件事要創造一種“特赦環境”。
Pardon?
什么?
We basically said,bring all your problems to the table and please tell us everything that’s not going as well as it could.
我們基本會說,有什么就說出來,告訴我們有什么還不夠好。
We got huge lists out of this.
由此我們可以列出很長的清單。
For example, I found out that Dell has been a company which has been very good at listening,
比如說,我發現戴爾是一個善于傾聽的公司,
but that we had lost some of that.
但是我們失去了一些。
So we created this Web site called Idea Storm.
所以我們開發了這個叫做“思想風暴”的網站。
Now we are getting thousands of ideas from customers.
現在我們從客戶那里得到了上千上萬的好主意。
Or they vote on different computer housings on this site so we know which one they like.
他們還可以根據自己的喜好給電腦外殼投票。
We’re getting this feedback in real time.
我們及時得到反饋,
It’s fantastic.
這太奇妙了。
Years ago, people sometimes even lined up on the streets as soon as new computer models or software came out so they could buy the latest.
很多年前,新的機型或軟件問世的時候,人們為了買到最新款的甚至在街上排隊。
That seems to not be the much any more.
現在似乎再也沒有這種情況了。
There is still an enthusiast market which always wants the latest,
現在仍有一部分有這樣熱情的人,他們總希望最快地用上最新的產品,
but this percentage of the total market is becoming smaller and smaller.
但是這個比例越來越小了。
It’s also true that processor speeds are increasing in a way that nobody really needs.
也確實是更新速度太快了,實際上人們根本不需要這么快的更新速度。
The most important thing now is high-speed Internet connections and multi-media applications.
最主要的是現在高速的網絡連接和多媒體應用。
In other words, people don’t need a new computer every 18 months any more.
換句話說,人們再也不需要每一年半就換一臺電腦了。
It depends on your job.
這取決于你的工作。
If you’re a trader at an investment bank, you always want the fastest.
如果你是一個投資銀行的商人,那你總想要速度最快的。
You’ll replace your PC every six months.
你每半年就換一次電腦。
Consumers probably now buy a new one every three or four years.
現在普通消費者大概每3或4年換一臺電腦。
What does this tell you?
這對你來說意味著什么?
More and more of our business is focusing on service.
我們的生意越來越多地集中到服務上。
Our business services sector has grown in four years from less than $2 billion to $6 billion.
我們的商業服務部門4年內營業值由不足20億美元增長到60億美元。
We made the PC easy, simple and cost effective.
我們將計算機改善為簡潔高效。
Now we want to make IT easy, simple, and cost effective.
現在我們想要將信息技術變得簡潔高效。
A lot of companies are really suffering from complexity in IT
很多公司因為信息技術復雜而感到困惑,
and they need an army of consultants to keep their systems running.
他們要雇用大量的顧問團隊,以保持機器的正常運轉。
We call it“feeding the dinosaurs.”
我們把這個叫做“喂恐龍”。
That’s where we want to help with new and easy standards.
我們正想幫助此處建立新的而且簡單的標準。
To give you an example: We are managing the entire IT-structure of Boeing,
給你舉個例子:我們正在管理波音整體的信息技術結構,
including computers, software and printers
包括計算機、軟件和打印機。