Most of your growth, though, is likely to come in quickly developing countries like China.
你們多數成就是在發展迅速的國家,如在中國取得的。
What is your strategy there?
你們在這些國家有怎樣的戰略?
We just introduced a new product for $349.
我們剛推出了一款349美金的產品。
It’s a very basic PC一not expandable.
是很基礎的計算機——不可擴內存。
But if you want to do basic functions like get on the Internet, do word processing,
但如果你只是需要一些基本操作,如上網、文字處理、
E-mail, spreadsheets, that sort of thing, it works just fine.
發郵件、做電子表格這一類的事情,足夠了。
It’s for the new PC buyer~we are talking about the next billion computers
這是給新用戶的,我們是說下一批10億臺計算機
一and they’re coming in China and India, Brazil, Turkey, and Russia.
-在中國、印度、巴西、土耳其和俄羅斯
There is a lot of opportunity there.
都有廣闊前景。
A cheap PC一is that enough?
一臺廉價的計算機就足夠了嗎?
Analysts expect the Chinese computer market to outgrow that of the US by 2013.
分析家稱到2013年中國的計算機市場將超過美國。
I‘m not sure about that.
這一點我并不確定。
But it is growing very, very fast.
但是中國市場增長非???。
We’ve grown 45 percent per year in China and we have two factories there.
在中國我們每年的增長率為45%,在那我們有兩家工廠。
In China this year we are spending almost $19 billion with our suppliers.
在中國,我們今年大概為我們的供應商花費了190億美金。
That’s much higher than what our local Chinese competitor is generating in revenues.
比當地的競爭者的收益還要高。
You mean, of course, Lenovo, which took over IBM’s PC business more than two years ago.
你是說,當然,聯想在兩年前收購了IBM個人計算機業務。
It didn’ t really work out, did it?
但并沒有什么成果,是嗎?
No.
沒有。
They have lost market share everywhere in the world except China where they’re kind of treading water.
除了中國以外,他們到處丟失市場份額。在中國,他們也是如履薄冰。
Why isn’t Dell doing so well in Germany?
為什么戴爾在德國市場做得不好?
Four years ago, you told Der Spiegel that you’d become market leader here by 2008.
4年前,你跟德國《明鏡》周刊說2008年你將成為這個市場的領軍人物。
But that hasn’t happened.
但是并沒有。
We still have a year left.
我們還有一年的時間。
We moved up to rank three from rank five last year.
去年我們的排名由第五位上升到第三位。
And we’re number one in the commercial market.
同時我們是商業市場的第一名。
But no question about it.
但是毫無疑問,
We can absolutely do better.
我們可以做得更好。
When Steve Jobs returned to Apple,
史蒂夫喬布斯回歸蘋果公司,
he reinvented the company.
他對公司進行了重組。
With the iPod’s success, his market value now is much bigger than Dell’s.
現在,隨著iPod的成功,他的身價已超過了你。
Is Jobs’s performance an example for you?
他的做法會成為你的榜樣嗎?
There are lots of examples.
榜樣有很多。
Apple’s a pretty different company than Dell.
蘋果與戴爾不同。但是毫無疑問,
But he’s certainly done a very nice job.
他做得很好。
Does Dell need an iPod-like revolution?
戴爾也需要一場iPod式的革命嗎?
If you look at the development of Dell from 1984 to today,
如果你看看戴爾1984年至今的發展史,
we have a history of doing new things.
我們有創造新事物的歷史。
We’re not going to stagnate.
我們不會停滯不前。
Look at the consumer market—so far we're participating in just one part of this business, the computer.
看看消費市場——我們現在只活躍在計算機市場中。
How will that change?
會如何改變呢?
It’s still a secret right now.
現在這還是個秘密。
But think about what’s happening with wireless communications.
但是想想無線通信發生了什么改變。
There was a reason we hired a new consumer head who comes from Motorola.
我們新從摩托羅拉雇用一名消費領域的領導者是有原因的。
Computer, home entertainment, communications, it’s all moving together.
計算機、家庭娛樂、通信,這些都合為一體了。
How is this changing the business?
這將促使你們的生意做出怎樣的改變?
First of all, the lines that previously separated various industries are breaking down.
首先,之前將各行業劃分開來的界線消失了。
Five years from now when you ask yourself what is a PC,
未來5年,如果你問自己什么是計算機,
what is digital home entertainment, what is a cell phone, the differences won’t be so clear.
什么是電子家庭娛樂,什么是手機,區別可能并不明顯。
Companies who used to deal in totally different business models will be looking more and more like the same industry.
不同行業的公司現在可能將要成為同行了。