What kind of startup should not go through incubation, in your opinion?
你認為什么類型的創業公司不會被孵化?
What kinda, you mean.
什么類型?
Well, yeah.
是的
Do you mean incubation YC?
你特指YC嗎?
No, yeah, YC or. What kind of startup should not through YC.
不,YC還有類似的公司,什么類型的創業公司不會被孵化?
Definitely any that will fail.
當然是注定失敗的公司了
And, or, if you'll succeed but you're an intolerable person that also,
或者是,能成功,但是,如果創始人讓人難以忍受的話
Sam would probably sooner do without.
Sam也是不會同意孵化的
Short of that, I cannot think of any, because most, a large percentage of,
別的想不到了。大部分創業者
founders are often surprised by how large a percentage of the problems that startups have
驚奇地發現,無論他們開的是什么項目的公司
are the same regardless of what kind of thing they're working on.
他們面臨的問題大部分都是一樣的
And those tend to be kind of problems that
YC能提供幫助最大的問題
YC helps with the most not the ones that are domain specific.
并不是創業內容領域的問題
So I can't, is there, can you think of, class of startups that YC wouldn't work for?
你能想出哪類公司YC是幫不上忙的嗎?
I can't.
反正我想不到
I mean like we had fission and fusion startups in the last batch.
上一批孵化的創業公司中,有做核聚變和核裂變的
Rather they had, yes?
你吧
You mentioned that it's good advice to learn a lot about something that matters?
你前面提到要學習重要的知識
Yes.
是的
Some good strategies to figure out what matters?
什么方法可以確定哪些是重要知識?
Well, If you think of, okay, so how do you figure out what matters?
如何確定哪些是重要知識?
If you think of technology as something that's spreading as a sort of fractal stain,
我前面說過,可以把技術想成是不規則的水滴
anything on the edge represents an interesting idea.
其邊緣上的每個點都是有意思的創意
It sounds familiar. So how do you figure out hmm?
還記得吧?如何確定?
Like I said, that was the problem.
如我所說,這是問題的核心
You have correctly identified, the thing where I didn't really answer the question,
你說出了我并沒有回答的部分
where I gave this question begging answer.
我并沒有給出明確答案
I said, like I, just like, I'm interested in interesting things.
我前面說,我對有意思的東西感興趣
If you're interested in interesting things, work on them and things will all work out, right?
如果對有意思的東西感興趣,著手做就行,一定會有成果的
But how do you tell what is a real problem? I don't know.
但是如何判斷什么樣的問題是好問題呢?我也不知道
That's like important enough to write a whole essay about, and I don't know the answer.
這點很重要,值得寫篇文章,我也不知道答案
I probably should write something about that. But I don't know!
我應該寫篇文章
I don't know.
我也不知道答案
I figured out a technique for detecting whether you have a taste for genuinely interesting problems,
我知道一種方法可以判斷你是否對有意思的事情敏感
which is whether you find working on boring things intolerable, right?
就是,你無法忍受無聊的事情
And there are known boring things, like literary theory and working in middle management in some large company.
有很多事情很無聊,比如,文學理論,再比如,在大公司做中層管理
So if you could tolerate those things, then you must not,
如果你能忍受這些事情
you must either have stupendous self discipline,
那么,你要么有驚人的自律
or you don't have a taste for genuinely interesting problems, and vice versa.
要么,你無法判斷某個問題是否有意思,反之亦然
Yes? One more question.
只能再回答一個問題了
Okay, one more question, it better be good.
只有一個問題了?太好了!
I was wondering out, you know like Snapchat, like, makes money
就像Snapchat…
Snapchat? What do I know about Snapchat? We didn't fund them.
我對Snapchat不了解,我們不資助他們公司
How about another question? All right go ahead.
重新問個問題吧?問吧
You talked about hiring employees you like.
您講到的雇人方法
But it seems like that could read into a monoculture,
可能會導致單一文化
and there are a lot of benefits in being a monoculture,
單一文化固然有很多好處
but how do you feel about the blind spots that arise?
您如何看待由此產生的盲點呢?
Okay, so if you hire people who you like you might get a monoculture,
創始人雇自己喜歡的人可能會導致單一文化
and how do you deal with the blind spots that arise?
如何應對由此產生的盲點呢?
Starting a startup is something where many things will be going wrong.
創業中會出現很多問題
You can't expect it to be perfect,
不能奢望完美無瑕
and the advantages of hiring people that you know and like are far greater than, you know,
雇自己認識和喜歡的人的好處遠大于
the small disadvantages of having some monoculture.
由此產生的單一文化問題
You look at it empirically
由經驗來看
all the most successful startups someone just like hires all their pals out of college.
所有最成功的創業公司在初期招募的都是大學朋友
All right you guys, thank you.
謝謝大家,再見