Yet, when it comes to starting startups,
說到創業
a lot of people seem to think they're supposed to start them in college.
很多人覺得在大學期間就得開始創業
Are you crazy? And what are the universities thinking?
這些人瘋了嗎?大學的領導們是怎么想的?
They go out of their way to ensure that their students are well supplied with contraceptives.
領導們費了好大勁,防止學生“搞”出亂子來
And yet they're starting up entrepreneurship programs and startup incubators left and right.
他們怎么可能開設創業項目,為學生創業保駕護航
To be fair, the universities have their hand forced here.
學校的確是有難處
A lot of incoming students are interested in startups.
很多潛在新生對創業感興趣
Universities are at least defacto, supposed to prepare you for your career.
學校得負責為你們做好職業規劃準備
And so, if you're interested in startups,
因此,如果學生對創業感興趣
it seems like universities are supposed to teach you about startups.
貌似學校就得教你創業
And if they don't, maybe they loose applicants to universities.
如果學校不教你,申請的學生就少了
You do claim to do that.
說的有道理
So, can universities teach you about startups?
那么,學校會教給你創業嗎?
Well, if not what are we doing here?
答案明擺著,如果不會的話,我們在這干嘛?
Yes and no, as I explain, they can teach you about startups, but this is not what you need to know.
答案既是肯定的又是否定的,學校會教給你創業,但是教的東西卻不是你需要知道的
Essentially, what universe, if you wanna learn French, universities can teach you linguistics.
如果你想學法語,學校就教給你語言學
That's what this is. This is a linguistics class.
如果這是一門語言課
Right? We're teaching you about how to learn languages.
我會教你怎么學習語言
And what you need to know is like, how to learn a particular language?
你需要知道的就是,怎么學一門語言
What you need to know, are the needs of your own users.
關于創業,你需要知道的是顧客的需求
You can't learn those, until you actually start the company.
你只有開了公司才能明白
And starting a company, which means that starting a startup is something, and you can intrinsically only learn by doing it.
創立一家公司后才能明白,意味著,在創業中實踐出真知
And you can't do that in college for the reason I just explained,
我剛才解釋了,為什么不能在大學時創業
that startups take over your entire life.
創業會占據你生活的全部
If you start a startup in college,
如果在大學時創業
If you start up a startup as a student, you can't start up a startup as a student,
你以學生的身份創業,你不能以學生的身份創業!
because if you start a startup you're not a student anymore.
因為一旦你開始創業,你就得輟學了
You may be nominally a student, but you won't even be that for much longer.
可能名義上可能還是學生,但是很快就不是了
So, given this dichotomy, which of the two paths should you take?
面臨以下兩條道路,你會選哪條?
Be a real student and not start a startup or start a real startup and not be a student.
做個學生,不創業,還是開始創業,不再是學生
Well I can answer that one for you. I'm talking to my own kids here.
如果你是我的孩子,我會為你選一條
Do not start a startup in college.
我選“做個學生,不創業”
I hope I'm not disappointing anyone, seriously, honestly.
希望你們不要失望
Starting a startup could be a component of a good life for a lot of ambitious people,
對于有野心的人來說,創業是美好生活的一部分
but this is just part of a much bigger problem that your trying to solve.
這同時也是你面臨的更重要的問題的一方面
How to have a good life, right,
這個問題就是,如何擁有美好生活
and though starting a startup could be a good thing to do at some point,
在某個人生階段創業是件好事
20 is not the optimal time to do it.
20歲卻不是創業的黃金時代
There are things, that, that you can't, there are things you can do in your early 20s,
有些事只能在20多歲的時候做
that you cannot do as well before or after,
之前或之后都不行
like plunge deeply into projects on a whim that seem like they have no payoff.
投入到一個有趣的項目中,不計回報
Or travel super cheaply with no sense of a deadline.
或是,不限期地窮游
In fact those are really just isomorphic shapes in different domains.
這些事情“形”雖不同,但是“神”似
For unambitious people this sort of thing can be the dreaded failure to launch.
對于沒有野心的人來說,做這些事情是失敗的象征
But for the ambitious ones,it's a really valuable sort of exploration.
對于有野心的人來說,卻是很有價值的探索
And if you start a startup at 20, and you're sufficiently successful, you will never get to do it.
如果你20歲就開始創業,并且成功了,你就無法體會到我所說的事情的樂趣了