Startups are all consuming.
創業是很耗人的
If you start a start up, it will take over your life to a degree that you cannot imagine.
如果你開始創業,創業就會以你難以想象的程度占據你的生活
And if it succeeds, it will take over your life for a long time.
如果創業成功,很長一段時間你都得耗在該事業上
For several years, at the very least. Maybe a decade.
少則幾年,可能十年
Maybe the rest of your working life.
甚至可能工作一輩子
So there's a real opportunity cost here,
有機會成本在里面
it may seem to you that Larry Page has an enviable life,
你可能羨慕Larry Page(谷歌創始人)的生活
but there are parts of it that are definitely unenviable.
但是有些地方是沒什么可羨慕的
The way the world looks to him, is that he started running as fast as he could at age 25.
他的生活是這樣的,他從25歲開始就全力奔跑
And he has not stopped to catch his breath since.
他來不及停下來喘口氣
Every day, shit happens within the Google empire that only the emperor can deal with.
每天都有一些麻煩事困擾著谷歌帝國,只有“國王”出馬才能解決
And he, as the emperor, has to deal with it.
Larry Page作為”國王”不得不出馬
If he goes on vacation for even a week, a whole backlog of shit accumulates.
即使他才度假一周,麻煩事都能堆成山
And he has to bear this uncomplainingly, because, number one,as the company's daddy, he can never show fear or weakness.
他不得不毫無怨言地處理這些麻煩事,原因一是,作為公司的老大,他決不能顯示出恐懼與軟弱
And number two, if you're a billionaire,
原因二是,億萬富翁如果抱怨自己生活艱難的話
you get zero, actually less than zero sympathy if you complain about having a difficult life.
人們不會有一丁點的同情,甚至覺得他矯情
Which has this strange side effect
這是事業成功的一個副作用
that the difficulty of being a successful startup founder is concealed from almost everyone who's done it.
成為一名成功的創業者要經歷很多苦難,而且無處傾訴,只能吞在肚里
People who win the hundred meters in the Olympics, like they walk up to them and they're going like, right.
奧林匹克百米冠軍跑完后氣喘吁吁
Larry Page is doing that too, but you never get to see it.
Larry Page也這樣,但是我們卻看不到
All right, where are we?
說到哪了?
Y Combinator has now funded several companies that could be called big successes.
YC孵化了一些異常成功的公司
And in every single case, the founders say the same thing, it never gets any easier.
其中每家公司的創始人都說自己從沒有輕松過
The nature of the problems change.
不同的公司出現的問題不一樣
So, you may be worrying about more glamorous problems
他們的問題可能更“高大上”一些
like construction delays in your new London offices,
例如,倫敦的新辦公室交接延期了
rather than the broken air conditioner in your studio apartment.
你們的問題可能是,公寓型工作室的空調壞了
But the total volume of worry never decreases, if anything, it increases.
他們面臨的問題的數目只增不減
Starting a successful startup is similar to having kids,
創立成功的公司和生孩子有相似之處
in that it's like a button you press, that changes your life irrevocably.
一旦按下“開始鍵”,你的生活徹底變了
And while it is, like, honestly the best thing in the world having kids.
誠然,有小寶貝是世上最美好的事情
If you take away one thing from this lecture, remember that.
如果你從該課只能學到一點的話,就是這一點
There are a lot of things that are easier to do after you, before you have kids, than after.
有很多事在有孩子前比較好辦,有了后就不好辦了
Many of which will make you a better parent, when you do have kids.
這些約束使你成為了更好的父母
And so, in rich countries, most people delay pushing the button for a while.
在發達國家,大部分人會推遲生孩子
And I'm sure you are all intimately familiar with that procedure.
你們懂得