As for me, let me tell you, I hate to study!
跟您說句心里話,我討厭讀書。
It's much more fun, I think, to chase after butterflies, climb trees, and steal birds' nests.
我更愛追蝴蝶,爬樹掏鳥窩。
Poor little silly!
可憐的小傻瓜!
Don't you know that if you go on like that, you will grow into a perfect donkey and that you'll be the laughingstock of everyone?
可你不知道嗎,這樣下去你會變成一頭大蠢驢,你將成為所有人的笑柄?
Keep still, you ugly Cricket! cried Pinocchio.
閉口吧你,你這不吉利的壞蟋蟀!皮諾喬叫道。
But the Cricket, who was a wise old philosopher, instead of being offended at Pinocchio's impudence, continued in the same tone:
可蟋蟀是一個賢明的老哲人,木偶這樣粗暴無禮,它一點不生氣、還是用它原來的聲調說:
If you do not like going to school, why don't you at least learn a trade, so that you can earn an honest living?
你要是不愛上學,那為什么不學個什么行當,好正正直直地給自己掙塊面包呢?
Shall I tell you something? asked Pinocchio, who was beginning to lose patience.
你要我告訴你嗎?皮諾喬開始不耐煩了,回答說。
Of all the trades in the world, there is only one that really suits me.
世界上所有的行當當中,只有—個行當真正合我的心意。
And what can that be?
那是什么行當?
That of eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, and wandering around from morning till night.
就是吃、喝、睡覺,玩兒,從早逛到晚。
Let me tell you, for your own good, Pinocchio, said the Talking Cricket in his calm voice, that those who follow that trade always end up in the hospital or in prison.
讓我告訴你,為你自己好,會說話的蟋蟀還是那么心平氣和地說,凡是干這種行當的,最后幾乎不是進醫院就是進監牢。
Careful, ugly Cricket! If you make me angry, you'll be sorry!
當心點,不吉利的壞蟋蟀!……你惹我生氣了可要后悔的!
Poor Pinocchio, I am sorry for you.
可憐的皮諾喬!你真叫我可憐!……
Why?
為什么?
Because you are a Marionette and, what is much worse, you have a wooden head.
因為你是—個木偶,更糟的是,因為你有一個木頭腦袋。
At these last words, Pinocchio jumped up in a fury, took a hammer from the bench, and threw it with all his strength at the Talking Cricket.
聽了最后這句話,皮諾喬火冒三丈,猛地跳起來,打工作臺上抓一個木頭槌子,用盡全力向會說話的蟋蟀扔過去。
Perhaps he did not think he would strike it.
他也許根本不想打中它。
But, sad to relate, my dear children, he did hit the Cricket, straight on its head.
可是真不巧,我親愛的孩子,他正好打中了蟋蟀的頭,
With a last weak cri-cri-cri the poor Cricket fell from the wall, dead!
可憐的蟋蟀無力地叫了最后一聲:唧唧,就從墻上掉下來,死了。