Chapter 4
第四章
Very little time did it take to get poor old Geppetto to prison.
可憐的杰佩托平很快被送進了監獄。
In the meantime that rascal, Pinocchio, free now from the clutches of the Carabineer, was running wildly across fields and meadows, taking one short cut after another toward home.
皮諾喬這小壞蛋看見自己逃脫了馬槍騎兵的手,馬上撒腿就跑,穿過麥田和草地,抄近路回家。
In his wild flight, he leaped over brambles and bushes, and across brooks and ponds, as if he were a goat or a hare chased by hounds.
他拼命地跑啊跑啊,跳過荊棘和灌木叢,穿過溪流和池塘,像只被獵人追趕的小山羊或者小野兔。
On reaching home, he found the house door half open.
他跑到房子前面,發現房門半掩著。
He slipped into the room, locked the door, and threw himself on the floor, happy at his escape.
他溜進房間,鎖上門,卜通坐到地上,為他的成功逃脫感到慶幸。
But his happiness lasted only a short time, for just then he heard someone saying: Cri-cri-cri!
可他得意了也只有一眨眼的工夫,因為他聽見屋子里有聲音叫:唧唧,唧唧!
Who is calling me? asked Pinocchio, greatly frightened.
誰在叫我啊?皮諾喬嚇壞了說。
I am!
是我!
Pinocchio turned and saw a large cricket crawling slowly up the wall.
皮諾喬轉過臉,看見一只大蟋蟀在墻上,正慢騰騰地往上爬。
Tell me, Cricket, who are you?
告訴我,蟋蟀,你是誰。
I am the Talking Cricket and I have been living in this room for more than one hundred years.
我是會說話的蟋蟀,在這屋子里已經住了百把年啦。
Today, however, this room is mine, said the Marionette, and if you wish to do me a favor, get out now, and don't turn around even once.
這屋子今天是我的了,木偶說,如果您真肯行行好,讓我高興高興,就請頭也別回,馬上走吧。
I refuse to leave this spot, answered the Cricket, until I have told you a great truth.
蟋蟀回答說:在我告訴你一個大道理之前,我是不會離開這個地方的。
Tell it, then, and hurry.
那就說吧,快點,
Woe to boys who refuse to obey their parents and run away from home!
孩子不聽父母的話,任意離開家,到頭來決不會有好結果!
They will never be happy in this world, and when they are older they will be very sorry for it.
他們在這個世界上永遠不會幸福,當他們老了的時候,會因此而非常遺憾的。
Sing on, Cricket mine, as you please.
您高興唱就下去吧,我的蟋蟀。
What I know is, that tomorrow, at dawn, I leave this place forever.
可我明天天不亮,一準就離開這里,永遠。
If I stay here the same thing will happen to me which happens to all other boys and girls.
我要是呆在這里,就逃不出所有孩子都會遇到的事情:
They are sent to school, and whether they want to or not, they must study.
他們被送去上學,無論他們是否愿意,他們會被逼著讀書。