She stoops down quickly and lines up picture after picture of me sitting there in front of the house with Maggie cowering behind me.
她很快蹲下去搶拍了一張又一張的照片,選取的鏡頭都是我坐在屋前,而麥姬縮成一團躲在我背后。
She never takes a shot without making sure the house is included.
她每拍一張照片總要認認真真地選好鏡頭把屋子拍進去。
When a cow comes nibbling around the edge of the yard she snaps it and me and Maggie and the house.
當一頭奶牛走過來在院子邊啃青草時,她立即搶鏡頭把它和我和麥姬、房子一起拍了一張照片。
Then she puts the Polaroid in the back seat of the car, and comes up and kisses me on the forehead.
然后,她將照相機放在汽車的后排座位上,跑過來吻了吻我的前額。
Meanwhile Asalamalakim is going through motions with Maggie's hand.
與此同時,阿薩拉馬拉吉姆正在努力拉著麥姬的手行禮。
Maggie's hand is as limp as a fish, and probably as cold, despite the sweat, and she keeps trying to pull it back.
麥姬的手像魚一樣軟弱無力,恐怕也像魚一樣冷冰冰的,盡管她身上正在出汗。而且她還一個勁兒地把手往后縮。
It looks like Asalamalakim wants to shake hands but wants to do it fancy.
看起來阿薩拉馬拉吉姆是想同她握手,但又想把握手的動作做的時髦花哨一點。
Or maybe he don't know how people shake hands.
也許是她不曉得正當的握手規矩。
Anyhow, he soon gives up on Maggie.
不管怎么說,她很快就放棄同麥姬周旋的努力了。
Well, I say. Dee.
喂,我開口道。迪伊。
No, Mama, she says. Not Dee, Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo!
不對,媽媽,她說。不是迪伊?是萬杰羅.李萬里卡。克曼喬?!
What happened to Dee? I wanted to know.
那迪伊?呢?我問道。