Then she gave a sigh and her hand closed over Grandma Dee's butter dish.
接著,她嘆了一口氣,她的手放在迪伊外婆的黃油碟上捏攏了。
That's it! she said. I knew there was something I wanted to ask you if I could have.
“對了!”她說。“我早知道這兒有些我想問您能不能給我的東西。”
She jumped up from the table and went over in the corner where the churn stood, the milk in it clabber by now. She looked at the churn and looked at it.
她離桌起身,走到角落處,那兒放著一個攪乳器,里面的牛奶已結成了酸奶。她看了看攪乳器,又望了望里面的酸奶。
This churn top is what I need, she said.
“這個攪乳器的蓋子我想要,”她說。
Didn't Uncle Buddy whittle it out of a tree you all used to have?
“那不是巴迪叔叔用你們原有的一棵樹的木頭做成的嗎?”
Yes, I said.
“是的,”我說。
Uh huh, she said happily. And I want the dasher,too.
“啊哈,”她興高采烈地說。“我還想要那根攪乳棒。”
Uncle Buddy whittle that, too? asked the barber.
“那也是巴迪叔叔做的嗎?”巴波問道。
Dee (Wangero) looked up at me.
迪伊(萬杰蘿)仰頭望著我。
Aunt Dee's first husband whittled the dash, said Maggie so low you almost couldn't hear her.
“那是迪伊姨媽的第一個丈夫做的,”麥姬用低得幾乎聽不見的聲音說。
His name was Henry, but they called him Stash.
“他的名字叫亨利,但人們總叫他史大西。”
Maggie's brain is like an elephants, Wanglero said, laughing.
“麥姬的腦袋像大象一樣,”萬杰蘿說著哈哈大笑。
I can use the churn top as a center piece for the alcove table,”she said, sliding a plate over the churn, and I'll think of something artistic to do with the dasher.
“我可以將這攪乳器蓋子放在凹室餐桌中央做裝飾品,”她一邊拿一個托盤蓋在攪乳器上,一邊說道。“至于那根攪乳棒,我也會想出一個藝術化的用途的。”
When she finished wrapping the dasher the handle stuck out.
她將攪乳棒包裹起來,把柄還露在外頭。
I took it for a moment in my hands. You didn't even have to look close to see where hands pushing the dasher up and down to make butter had left a kind of sink in the wood.
我伸手將把柄握了一會兒。不用將眼睛湊近去細看也可以看出攪乳棒把柄上由于長年累月握著攪動而留下的凹陷的握痕。