Chapter 2
第二章
In that very instant, a loud knock sounded on the door.
正在這節骨眼,有人篤篤篤敲門。
"Come in," said the carpenter, not having an atom of strength left with which to stand up.
“進來”,老木匠說,他連重新站起來的力氣也沒有了。
At the words, the door opened and a dapper little old man came in.
話音未落,門開了,進來了一個精干利落的小老頭。
His name was Geppetto, but to the boys of the neighborhood he was Polendina, on account of the wig he always wore which was just the color of yellow corn.
他的名字叫做杰佩托,可街坊鄰居的孩子要想逗他發頓脾氣,就叫他的外號“老玉米糊”,他有這么個外號,因為他那頭黃色假發活像玉米糊。
Geppetto had a very bad temper. Woe to the one who called him Polendina!
杰佩托脾氣挺壞,誰叫他“老玉米糊”就得倒大霉!
He became as wild as a beast and no one could soothe him.
他一下子兇得像只野獸,誰也沒法讓他平息下來。
"Good day, Mastro Antonio," said Geppetto. "What are you doing on the floor?"
“您好,安東尼奧師傅。”杰佩托說,“您坐在地上干嗎呀?”
"I am teaching the ants their A B C's."
“我嗎,我在教螞蟻字母哪。”
"Good luck to you!"
“祝您成功!”
"What brought you here, friend Geppetto?"
“倒是什么把您給帶到我這兒來啦,杰佩托老朋友。”
"My legs. And it may flatter you to know, Mastro Antonio, that I have come to you to beg for a favor."
“是我的腿把我帶來了唄,您知道,安東尼奧師傅,我是來求您給我幫個忙的。”
"Here I am, at your service," answered the carpenter, raising himself on to his knees.
“隨時樂意為您效勞。”老木匠回答說,跪了起來。
"This morning a fine idea came to me."
“今天早晨,我腦子里忽然想出了一個好主意。”
"Let's hear it."
“咱們倒來聽聽看。”
"I thought of making myself a beautiful wooden Marionette.
“我想親手給自己做個漂亮的木偶。
It must be wonderful, one that will be able to dance, fence, and turn somersaults.
它一定是非常棒的,會跳舞,會耍劍,還會翻跟頭。
With it I intend to go around the world, to earn my crust of bread and cup of wine. What do you think of it?"
我要帶著它周游世界,掙塊面包吃吃,混杯酒喝喝。您看怎么樣。”
"Bravo, Polendina!" cried the same tiny voice which came from no one knew where.
“好極了,老玉米糊!”還是那個很細很細的聲音不卻從哪兒叫起來。
On hearing himself called Polendina, Mastro Geppetto turned the color of a red pepper and, facing the carpenter, said to him angrily:
杰佩托這位老朋友一聽人家叫他老玉米糊,臉登時氣紅了,紅得像個紅辣椒。他向老木匠一下子轉過臉來,氣呼呼地說:
"Why do you insult me?"
“您干嗎得罪我?”
"Who is insulting you?"
“誰得罪您了?”
"You called me Polendina."
“您叫我老玉米糊!”
"I did not."
“我沒有!”
"I suppose you think _I_ did! Yet I KNOW it was you."
“難道是我叫了嗎?我說是您叫了。”
"No!"
“我沒叫!”
"Yes!"
“您叫了!”
"No!"
“我沒叫!”
"Yes!"
“您叫了!”
And growing angrier each moment, they went from words to blows, and finally began to scratch and bite and slap each other.
他們越來越激動,結果從動口到動手,兩個打了起來,又抓又咬,互相拍打。
When the fight was over, Mastro Antonio had Geppetto's yellow wig in his hands and Geppetto found the carpenter's curly wig in his mouth.
等到一架打完,杰佩托那頭黃色假發到了安東尼奧師傅的手上,老木匠那頭卷曲的假發卻在杰佩托的嘴里。