This is becoming a familiar walk for Bohunt headteacher Neil Strowger
查看中式學校的學生表現,已經成為博航特中學校長
off to check up on the pupils of the Chinese school.
尼爾·史瑞喬的例行公事
I am quite upset and professionally,
我有些擔憂,從專業角度來說
I am very nervous at what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing is going on in some classrooms.
我在一些課堂的所見所聞讓我有些緊張
Because it's just absolutely not what would be tolerated from a normal Bohunt teacher.
因為在博航特中學的老師看來,有些表現是決不能容忍的
Right. Here goes nothing.
好了,有點白費心思
Here we go. Nice fire regulation problem.
我們到了,消防設施有點問題
Mr Strowger has wheeled in Head of School Mr Vaughn to pay a surprise visit to the science lab.
史瑞喬先生帶著教導主任沃恩先生來科學實驗室做一次突擊訪問
Oh, my days. Oh, my God. I don't even have a pen.
我的老天爺,我連筆都沒帶啊
Daniel? Daniel? Danielle?
丹尼爾,丹尼爾,丹妮爾
Do you have a spare pen?
你還有不用的筆嗎
Now, let's look at today's lesson. Thank you.
那么,我們來看看今天的課程,謝謝
Can you get the title down, please?
你們能把標題記下來些嗎
Food chain.
食物鏈

When Mr Strowger comes in the room, you know you have to behave.
史瑞喬先生在的時候,你得知道你要老實一點
He just like, walks around the classroom, like...and you know you have to be quiet,
他就是,在教室里轉悠,就像...然后你就得安靜一點
because he's got the face on.
因為他表情嚴肅
Some animals eat plants and some animals eat each other.
有些動物食肉,有些動物食草
Do you know what you're doing? Sorry?
你知道你在干什么嗎?對不起
Do you know what you're doing? And these, with green plants.
你知道你在干什么嗎?那這些,是綠色植物
Why aren't you doing it then?
那你告訴我你在干什么
It's a bit like having the Prime Minister in your classroom.
這有點像首相就在我們教室
It shows the pupils who are being a bit disruptive.
就像告訴那些調皮搗蛋的孩子
This is very serious, this is a month of learning that should be happening.
我們是很認真的,這次的學習實驗本該如此
It's starting to dawn on the Bohunt bosses why things are going so wrong in the Chinese school.
博航特中學的高層開始明白,為什么中式學校出那么多問題
I wouldn't say that we were pleased with what we saw,
我不覺得對我們的所見感到高興
but that's possibly got more to do with the teaching and learning,
但較之紀律問題,我們可能應該
rather than any other disruptive behavioural concerns.
花更多時間提升教學質量
Can we write that down, please?
請同學們記下來
Just copy the food chain.
記下食物鏈就好了
I'm feeling quite irritated actually,
我其實感到非常不滿
that the students are being subjected to such a tedious diet.
我們的學生在上如此乏味的一堂課
You've got a teacher stood at the front, basically talking to a PowerPoint.
我們的老師只是站在前面念幻燈片
I was only in the room for 20 minutes and I was ready to bang my head on the desk,
我只在教室待了20分鐘就已經開始昏昏欲睡了
so I have the deepest sympathy for some of those students.
所以我對教室里的學生深表同情
If you want to make a note of where I'm talking to you.
如果需要記筆記
Now, it says here... Oh, they've gone. They've gone.
你可以記這里...哦,他們走了,他們走了
Oh, my days.
哦,我的天啊
Do you know what that reminded me of? Go on.
你知道我想什么了嗎?什么
A Thursday afternoon class of my childhood.
我小時候在一個周四下午的一節課
Dying a thousand deaths in the heat, barely able to get your head off the desk,
天氣熱得要死,人困得不行
with somebody droning at you incessantly.
我的老師還在那里沒完沒了地說
Yeah.
是啊
I have a strong feeling that at the moment,
當時我很強烈地感覺到
the Chinese School is going to fail - and fail by a margin -
中式學校會以失敗告終,而且是慘敗
and I actually, genuinely now hope it does.
而且我是真心希望這件事發生
Because if that is the way we are going to have to teach,
因為如果要讓我們以這種方式教育學生
if that is the most successful way of teaching, then God help us.
如果這是最成功的教育方式,那就請上帝保佑吧