Um, a common mistake is that company's gets excited by their own PR.
一個常見的錯誤就是公司會過分關注網頁排名
It's really easy to get PR with no results and it feels like your actually really cool.
提高網頁排名很容易,并且你會自我感覺良好
But in a year, you'll still have nothing, and at that point you won't be cool anymore.
但在一年的時間里,你仍然一無所獲。到那時,你的感覺可就不好了
And you'll just be talking about these articles from a year ago.
一年前的報道中寫道
That oh, you know, like these Standford students start this new startup, it's gonna be the next big thing.
“又一個斯坦福的學生開始創業了,他一定會干成大事”
And now you have nothing, and that sucks.
而現在你一無所獲,真的很糟糕
Um, and then, as I mentioned already, be in the same space.
接著,正如我之前所提到的,要在同一個地方工作
Ah, this is like, I think this is pretty much a non starter.
這就像我覺得這是很難成功的事
Remote co-founding teams is just really really hard.
異地合伙團隊工作起來真的非常困難
It slows down the cycle time more than anybody ever thinks it's going to.
周轉時間變得比大家所想的還要慢
The other piece, besides focus for execution is intensity.
另一方面,除了專注之外,還要有強度

Um, startups only work at a fairly intense level.
創業公司只有在高強度下才能有所作為
Um, a friend of mine says that the secret to startups is extreme focus and extreme dedication.
我的一個朋友說過創業的秘訣在于忘我的專注和極度的熱衷
You know you can like a have a startup in one other thing,
此外你還能照顧到另一件事情
you can have a startup in a family but you probably can't have many other hobbies.
你可以照顧一下家庭,但你不能有其他的愛好
Startups are not the best choice for work life balance.
創業并不是工作生活平衡的最好選擇
And that's sort of just, the sad reality.
這是殘酷的現實
Um, there's a lot of great things about a startup, but this is not one of them.
創業有許多好處,但這并不是其中之一
Um, they are all consuming in a way that is difficult to explain.
這很難解釋
You, you generally need to be willing to outwork your competitors.
你要在工作上勝過你的競爭者
The good news here, uh, wow that's hard to see um, is that a small amount of extra work on the right thing.
好消息是,啊,可能有點看不清,在正確的事情上付出一點額外的努力
Makes a huge difference.
結果將大有不同
One example that I like to give is thinking about the viral coefficient for a consumer web product.
有一個例子是用戶網絡產品的傳播系數
Um, how many users how many new users each existing user brings in.
每個現有用戶可以帶來多少個新用戶
If it's .99 the company will eventually flatline and then die.
如果是0.99,那這個公司最終將保持低水平直至消亡
Uh, and if it's 1.01 you'll be in this happy place of exponential growth forever.
如果是1.01,那么你的處境不錯,永遠呈指數增長
Um, so this is just one concrete example of where a tiny bit of
所以這是一個具體實例
extra work is the difference between success and failure.
只要一點額外努力就可以帶來大相徑庭的結果
And, when we talk to successful founders they tell stories like this all the time.
當我們和成功的創業者交談時,他們一直都在告訴我們這樣的故事
You know, just outworking their competitors by a little bit, was what made them successful.
只要比你的競爭者努力工作一點,這就是他們成功的原因
Um, so you have to be really intense, you know,
所以,你必須要保持高強度的工作
this only comes from the CEO, this only comes from the founders.
這是成為CEO或創業者所必須的要求