And things got better and better,
狀況變得越來越好,
and within three or four months,
三四個月后,
I was discharged from that hospital, and I joined a group of surgeons
我出院并加入外科醫師團體
where I could work with other people in the community, not in New Haven, but fairly close by.
我可以和其他人共事,并不在康州紐黑文市,但很近.
I stayed there for three years.
在那里我待了3年
At the end of three years, I went back to New Haven, had remarried by that time.
3年后,我回到了紐黑文市,當時我已經再婚了.
I brought my wife with me, actually, to make sure I could get through this.
我帶著我愛人,幫助我一起康復.
My children came back to live with us.
我的孩子也回來和我們一起住生活.
We had two more children after that.
之后我們生了2個孩子
Resuscitated the career, even better than it had been before.
我回到工作崗位,甚至比以前更好了.
Went right back into the university and began to write books.
我回到大學開始寫書.
Well, you know, it's been a wonderful life.
現在的生活很好
It's been, as I said, close to 30 years.
至今已經近30年了.
I stopped doing surgery about six years ago
大約6年前,我停止做手術了
and became a full-time writer, as many people know.
成為全職作家,這個很多人知道.
But it's been very exciting. It's been very happy.
這是令人幸福和快樂的.
Every once in a while, I have to say, "Ah, fuck it."
偶爾,我還會說:"哎呀,去他的!"
Every once in a while, I get somewhat depressed and a little obsessional.
偶爾,我還會郁悶并有點強迫性思維
So, I'm not free of all of this. But it's worked. It's always worked.
所以其實并沒完全好,但電療確實有效.
Why have I chosen, after never, ever talking about this, to talk about it now?
為何我以前選擇避而不談這個,而現在卻談論它?
Well, those of you who know some of these books know that one is about death and dying,
你們其中有些人知道我的這些書,一本討論生死的書,
one is about the human body and the human spirit,
關于人的身體和心靈的書,
one is about the way mystical thoughts are constantly in our minds,
一本神秘想法縈繞于心的書,
and they have always to do with my own personal experiences.
所有的都和我個人的經歷有關系.
One might think reading these books
讀者可能會想——
and I've gotten thousands of letters about them
我已經收到上千封信函
by people who do think this
讀者確實這么認為
that based on my life's history as I've portrayed in the books,
從我書中描繪的個人生命史來看
my early life's history, I am someone who has overcome adversity.
從我早期的生活看,我是個已經克服磨難的人。
That I am someone who has drunk, drank, drunk of the bitter dregs of near-disaster in childhood
我遍嘗苦難,童年歷經艱辛
and emerged not just unscathed but strengthened.
逆境沒有挫敗我,反而使我堅強
I really have it figured out, so that I can advise people about death and dying,
我已經真正開悟,可以和大家分享生與死的思考,
so that I can talk about mysticism and the human spirit.
也能談談神秘主意與人的心靈。