And I've always felt guilty about that.
我一直感到心虛,
I've always felt that somehow I was an impostor
一直覺得自己有點像冒充的
because my readers don't know what I have just told you.
因為讀者不知道我今天說的。
It's known by some people in New Haven, obviously, but it is not generally known.
很明顯,紐黑文市有人知道,但一般來說,這不為人知。
So one of the reasons that I have come here to talk about this today
所以今天我來這里分享的原因之一是
is to -- frankly, selfishly --
坦白說,是自私地
unburden myself and let it be known
解除我自己的心理負擔,讓大眾知道
that this is not an untroubled mind that has written all of these books.
寫就這些書并非是無所憂慮的。
But more importantly, I think,
更重要的是,我認為,
is the fact that a very significant proportion of people in this audience are under 30,
在座的相當一撥人年紀不滿30歲,
and there are many, of course, who are well over 30.
當然,也有很多超過30歲的。
For people under 30, and it looks to me like almost all of you
對于30以下的人,在我看來,幾乎你們所有人
I would say all of you
你們所有人
are either on the cusp of a magnificent and exciting career
要么在美好生涯尖峰
or right into a magnificent and exciting career: anything can happen to you.
要么正要步入美好生涯,任何事情都可能發生在你身上。
Things change. Accidents happen.
世事難料。禍福無常。
Something from childhood comes back to haunt you.
童年記憶可能回來糾纏你,
You can be thrown off the track.
你可能困頓茫然。
I hope it happens to none of you,
我希望不要發生在你們身上,
but it will probably happen to a small percentage of you.
但少部分人可能會碰上。
To those to whom it doesn't happen, there will be adversities.
即使不碰到這樣的經歷,也有人生逆境。
If I, with the bleakness of spirit,
假如連我這個希望渺茫,
with no spirit, that I had in the 1970s and no possibility of recovery,
1970年時根本全然絕望的靈魂,不可能康復
as far as that group of very experienced psychiatrists thought,
至少那群資深精神科醫師這么認為,
if I can find my way back from this,
如果我能熬過去
believe me, anybody can find their way back from any adversity that exists in their lives.
相信我,任何人都能熬過來,克服生活中的任何逆境。
And for those who are older, who have lived through perhaps not something as bad as this,
年長的人,已然有了生活,可能沒這么糟糕
but who have lived through difficult times,
但也經歷坎坷
perhaps where they lost everything, as I did,
可能如我樣失去所有,
and started out all over again, some of these things will seem very familiar.
并從頭再來,一些事情似曾相熟。
There is recovery.
你可以康復。
There is redemption. And there is resurrection.
可以救贖,重獲新生。
There are resurrection themes in every society that has ever been studied,
每個社會都有重獲新生的故事
and it is because not just only do we fantasize about the possibility of resurrection and recovery,
這是因為我們不僅是幻想重生和康復的可能性
but it actually happens. And it happens a lot.
而且它確實發生,而且它多有所聞。
Perhaps the most popular resurrection theme,
或許最經常聽到的重生故事
outside of specifically religious ones,
除了宗教事務外
is the one about the phoenix, the ancient story of the phoenix,
就是有關鳳凰的古老神話
who, every 500 years, resurrects itself from its own ashes
每500年,它會從自己的灰燼中浴火重生
to go on to live a life that is even more beautiful than it was before.
展開新的生命,更加美妙的新生命
Richard, thanks very much.
理查,非常感謝。