If you have to choose between hiring a suboptimal employee
如果你必須在一名次優的員工
and losing your customers to your competitor what do you do?
和顧客被對手搶走之間做選擇,你會怎樣做?
Um, if it would be one of the first five, say employees of the company.
如果是公司最先招的五個人中的一個
Uh, I would lose those customers.
我會選擇后者
Um, I just, I think the damage that it does to the company.
我認為招到平庸之輩對公司造成的傷害非常大
Um, you, you know, you don't wanna, it's better to lose some customers than kill the company.
你并不想--比起讓公司倒閉,失去顧客要好一些
Um, later on I might have a slightly different opinion,
我也不是非常確定
but it's really hard to say in the general case.
但在一般情況下真的很難說
How about one more question, and I'll keep going, yes?
最后一個問題,之后我會繼續,請講
Uh, what's your experience with cofounders who aren't working uh, in the same location?
對于和自己不在同一個地方的合伙人,你的經驗是什么呢?
I'm gonna get to that later.
我會在之后談到這一點
The question is what about cofounders that are not working in the same location.
問題是如何考慮沒有在一起工作的合伙人
Um, don't do it.
千萬不要這樣做
I am skeptical of remote teams in general.
通常我對遠距離團隊是懷疑的
But in the early days of a startup where communication and speed outweigh everything else.
在創業的早期,溝通和速度是最重要的
Um, for whatever reason, video conferencing or calls just don't work that well.
不管是什么原因,視頻會議或電話會議的效果都不是太好
The data on this is look at the say, like,
這方面的數據表明
30 most successful software startups of all time.
最成功的30個軟件公司都是一直面對面溝通的
And try to point to a single example where the cofounders were in different locations.
很難相處一個異地合伙人的成功例子
It's really, really tough.
真的很困難
Um, all right. We'll skip a little bit of this.
好的,我們跳過這一點部分

All right. So, now we're gonna talk about execution.
好的,現在我們談談執行
Um, execution for most founders is not the more fun part of starting a company.
對大多數創業者而言,執行不是創建公司中特別有意思的一部分
But it is often the most critical.
但它通常是最關鍵的
Um, most people that start a company think that they are signing up to have this brilliant idea.
創業的大多數人認為他們有了不錯的想法,簽個合同
And, you know, then they're just going to be, like, be on magazine covers and go to parties.
之后,他們只要去,比如,成為雜志封面人物,參加聚會就可以了
But really what it's about more than anything else, what, what being a founder means is,
但成為一名創業者意味著更多的是--
is signing up for this year's long grind on execution, and you can't outsource this.
簽字意味著你要保證一年年地堅定地執行,不能把工作外包
Um, the way to have a company that executes well is to execute well yourself.
要想擁有一家具有執行力的公司,你自己就得是一個說到做到的人
Everything in startup gets modeled after the founders.
創業公司的每件事,都以創業者為范本
Whatever the founders do becomes the culture.
創業者所作所為即成為公司文化
So if you want a culture where people work hard and
所以如果你想要創建一個努力工作
pay attention to detail and focus on the customer and are frugal um,
關注細節,注重客戶,勤儉節約的文化
you have to do it yourself there is no other way.
你就要身體力行,除此之外別無他法
You cannot hire a COO and have them, you know, do this while you go off to conferences.
你不能雇傭一位COO來做這些,自己只是開開會
The company just needs to see you as like this maniacal execution machine.
公司需要你成為瘋狂的執行機器
As I said in the first lecture,
正如我在第一節課中說過的
there's like a hundred times at least more people with great ideas.
擁有好主意的人很多
Than people that are willing to put in the effort, um, to execute them well.
但愿意付出努力把想法付諸實踐的人很少
Ideas by themselves are not worth anything.
這樣的人,他們的想法一文不值
Only executing well is what, what adds value, or what creates value.
只有把想法付諸實踐,才能增加價值或者是創造價值
A big part of execution is just putting in the effort.
執行的很大一部分就是付諸實踐