我默不作聲。
Helen had calmed me; but in the tranquillity she imparted there was an alloy of inexpressible sadness.
海倫已經使我平靜下來了,但在她所傳遞的寧靜里,混雜著一種難以言傳的悲哀。
I felt the impression of woe as she spoke, but I could not tell whence it came.
她說話時我感受到了這種悲哀,但不知道它從何而來。
And when, having done speaking, she breathed a little fast and coughed a short cough,
話一講完,她開始有點氣急,短短地咳了幾聲,
I momentarily forgot my own sorrows to yield to a vague concern for her.
我立刻忘掉了自己的苦惱,隱隱約約地為她擔起心來。
Resting my head on Helen's shoulder, I put my arms round her waist.
我把頭靠在海倫的肩上,雙手抱住了她的腰。
She drew me to her, and we reposed in silence.
她緊緊摟住我,兩人默默地偎依著。
We had not sat long thus, when another person came in.
我們沒坐多久,另外一個人進來了。
Some heavy clouds, swept from the sky by a rising wind, had left the moon bare.
這時,一陣剛起的風,吹開了沉重的云塊,露出了月亮。

And her light, streaming in through a window near, shone full both on us and on the approaching figure,
月光瀉進近旁的窗戶,清晰地照亮了我們兩人和那個走近的身影,
which we at once recognised as Miss Temple.
我們立刻認出來,那是坦普爾小姐。
"I came on purpose to find you, Jane Eyre," said she.
“我是特地來找你的,簡.愛,”她說。
I want you in my room, and as Helen Burns is with you, she may come too.
我要你到我房間里去,既然海倫.彭斯也在,那她也一起來吧。
We went.
我們去了。
Following the superintendent's guidance, we had to thread some intricate passages,
在這位校長的帶領下,我們穿過了一條條復雜的過道,
and mount a staircase before we reached her apartment.
登上一座樓梯,才到她的寓所。
It contained a good fire, and looked cheerful.
房間里爐火正旺,顯得很愜意。
Miss Temple told Helen Burns to be seated in a low arm-chair on one side of the hearth,
坦普爾小姐叫海倫.彭斯坐在火爐一邊的低靠手椅里,
and herself taking another, she called me to her side.
她自己在另一條靠手椅上坐下,把我叫到她身邊。
"Is it all over?" she asked, looking down at my face. "Have you cried your grief away?"
“全都過去了嗎?”她俯身瞧著我的臉問?!鞍褌亩伎薰饬??”
I am afraid I never shall do that.
恐怕我永遠做不到。
Why?
為什么?
Because I have been wrongly accused, and you, ma' am, and everybody else, will now think me wicked.
因為我被冤枉了,小姐,你,還有所有其他人,都會認為我很壞。
We shall think you what you prove yourself to be, my child.
孩子,我們會根據你的表現來看待你的。
Continue to act as a good girl, and you will satisfy us.
繼續做個好姑娘,你會使我滿意的。
Shall I, Miss Temple?
我會嗎,坦普爾小姐?
"You will," said she, passing her arm round me.
“你會的,”她說著用胳膊摟住我。
And now tell me who is the lady whom Mr. Brocklehurst called your benefactress?
現在你告訴我,被布羅克赫斯特稱為你的恩人的那位太太是誰?
Mrs. Reed, my uncle's wife. My uncle is dead, and he left me to her care.
里德太太,我舅舅的妻子。我舅舅去世了,他把我交給她照顧。
Did she not, then, adopt you of her own accord?
那她不是自己主動要撫養你了?
No, ma' am.
不是,小姐。
She was sorry to have to do it.
她感到很遺憾,不得不撫養我。
but my uncle, as I have often heard the servants say, got her to promise before he died that she would always keep me.
但我常聽仆人們說,我舅舅臨終前要她答應,永遠撫養我。
Well now, Jane, you know, or at least I will tell you, that when a criminal is accused, he is always allowed to speak in his own defence.
好吧,簡,你知道,或者至少我要讓你知道,罪犯在被起訴時,往往允許為自己辯護。
You have been charged with falsehood. Defend yourself to me as well as you can.
你被指責為說謊,那你就在我面前盡力為自己辯護吧。
Say whatever your memory suggests is true, but add nothing and exaggerate nothing.
凡是你記得的事實你都說,可別加油添醋,夸大其詞。