While sobbing out this wish in broken accents, some one approached.
正當我泣不成聲地吐出了這個心愿時,有人走近了我。
I started up — again Helen Burns was near me.
我驚跳了起來,又是海倫.彭斯靠近了我。
The fading fires just showed her coming up the long, vacant room.
漸暗的爐火恰好照亮她走過空空蕩蕩的長房間,
She brought my coffee and bread.
她給我端來了咖啡和面包。
"Come, eat something," she said.
“來,吃點東西,”她說。
But I put both away from me, feeling as if a drop or a crumb would have choked me in my present condition.
可是我們把咖啡和面包都從我面前推開了,只覺得仿佛眼下一滴咖啡或一口面包就會把我噎住似的。
Helen regarded me, probably with surprise.
海倫凝視著我,也許很驚奇。
I could not now abate my agitation, though I tried hard. I continued to weep aloud.
這時我雖已竭盡全力,卻仍無法抑制內心的激動,仍然一個勁兒號啕著。
She sat down on the ground near me, embraced her knees with her arms, and rested her head upon them.
她在我身旁的地上坐下,胳膊抱著雙膝,把頭靠在膝頭上。
In that attitude she remained silent as an Indian.
她就那么坐著,不言不語,像一個印度人。
I was the first who spoke: "Helen, why do you stay with a girl whom everybody believes to be a liar?"
倒是我第一個開了腔:“海倫,你怎么會跟一個人人都相信她會說謊的人呆在一起呢?”
Everybody, Jane?
是人人嗎,簡?
Why, there are only eighty people who have heard you called so, and the world contains hundreds of millions.
瞧,只有八十個人聽見叫你撒謊者,而世界上有千千萬萬的人呢。
But what have I to do with millions?
可是我跟那千千萬萬的人有什么關系呢?
The eighty, I know, despise me.
我認識的八十個人瞧不起我。
Jane, you are mistaken.
簡,你錯啦,
Probably not one in the school either despises or dislikes you.
也許學校里沒有一個人會瞧不起你,或者討厭你,
Many, I am sure, pity you much.
我敢肯定,很多人都那么同情你。