I resolved, in the depth of my heart, that I would be most moderate — most correct.
我暗下決心,要把話說得恰如其分,準確無誤。
And, having reflected a few minutes in order to arrange coherently what I had to say, I told her all the story of my sad childhood.
我思考了幾分鐘,把該說的話理出了個頭緒,便一五一十地向她訴說了我悲苦的童年。
Exhausted by emotion, my language was more subdued than it generally was when it developed that sad theme.
我己激動得精疲力盡,所以談到這個傷心的話題時,說話比平時要克制。
And mindful of Helen's warnings against the indulgence of resentment, I infused into the narrative far less of gall and wormwood than ordinary.
我還記住了海倫的告誡,不一味沉溺于怨詞,敘述時所摻雜的刻薄與惱恨比往日少得多。
Thus restrained and simplified, it sounded more credible.
而且態度收斂,內容簡明,聽來更加可信。
I felt as I went on that Miss Temple fully believed me.
我覺得,我往下說時,坦普爾小姐完全相信我的話。
In the course of the tale I had mentioned Mr. Lloyd as having come to see me after the fit.
我在敘述自己的經歷時,還提到了勞埃德先生,說他在我昏厥后來看過我。
For I never forgot the, to me, frightful episode of the red-room.
我永遠忘不了可怕的紅房子事件。

In detailing which, my excitement was sure, in some degree, to break bounds.
有詳細訴說時,我的情緒有點失態。
For nothing could soften in my recollection the spasm of agony which clutched my heart when Mrs. Reed spurned my wild supplication for pardon,
因為當里德太太斷然拒絕我發瘋似的求饒,把我第二次關進黑洞洞鬧鬼的房子時,
and locked me a second time in the dark and haunted chamber.
那種陣陣揪心的痛苦,在記憶中是什么也撫慰不了的。
I had finished.
我講完了。
Miss Temple regarded me a few minutes in silence.
坦普爾小姐默默地看了我幾分鐘。
She then said: "I know something of Mr. Lloyd. I shall write to him."
她隨后說:“勞埃德先生我有些認識,我會寫信給他的。”
If his reply agrees with your statement, you shall be publicly cleared from every imputation.
要是他的答復同你說的相符,我們會公開澄清對你的詆毀。
To me, Jane, you are clear now.
對我來說,簡,現在你已經清白了。
She kissed me, and still keeping me at her side,
她吻了吻我,仍舊讓我呆在她身邊,
where I was well contented to stand, for I derived a child's pleasure from the contemplation of her face, her dress,
我很樂意站在那里,因為我端詳著她的面容、她的裝束、
her one or two ornaments, her white forehead, her clustered and shining curls, and beaming dark eyes.
她的一、二件飾品、她那白皙的額頭、她那一團團閃光的卷發和烏黑發亮的眼睛時,得到了一種孩子般的喜悅。
She proceeded to address Helen Burns.
她開始同海倫.彭斯說話了。
How are you tonight, Helen? Have you coughed much today?
今晚你感覺怎么樣,海倫?你今天咳得厲害嗎?
Not quite so much, I think, ma' am.
我想不太厲害,小姐。
And the pain in your chest?
胸部的疼痛呢?
It is a little better.
好一點了。
Miss Temple got up, took her hand and examined her pulse; then she returned to her own seat.
坦普爾小姐站起來,拉過她的手,按了按脈搏,隨后回到了自己的座位上。
As she resumed it, I heard her sigh low.
坐定以后,我聽她輕聲嘆了口氣。
She was pensive a few minutes, then rousing herself, she said cheerfully: "But you two are my visitors tonight;
她沉思了一會,隨后回過神來,高興地說:“不過今晚你們倆是我的客人,”
I must treat you as such. She rang her bell.
我必須按客人相待,她按了下鈴。
"Barbara," she said to the servant who answered it, "I have not yet had tea. Bring the tray and place cups for these two young ladies."
“巴巴拉,”她對應召而來的傭人說,“我還沒有用茶呢,你把盤子端來,給兩位小姐也放上杯子。”
And a tray was soon brought.
盤子很快就端來了。
How pretty, to my eyes, did the china cups and bright teapot look, placed on the little round table near the fire!
在我的目光中,這些放在火爐旁小園桌上的瓷杯和亮晃晃的茶壺多么漂亮!
How fragrant was the steam of the beverage, and the scent of the toast!
那飲料的熱氣和烤面包的味兒多香!
Of which, however, I, to my dismay (for I was beginning to be hungry) discerned only a very small portion.
但使我失望的是(因為我已開始覺得餓了),我發現那份兒很小,
Miss Temple discerned it too.
坦普爾小姐也同樣注意到了。