The Scroll Marked3
羊皮卷之三
I will persist until I succeed.
堅持不懈,直到成功。
In the Orient
在古老的東方,
young bulls are tested for the fight arena in a certain manner.
挑選小公牛列競技場格斗有一定的程序、
Each is brought to the ring
它們被帶進場地,
and allowed to attack a picador who pricks them with a lance.
向手持長矛的斗牛士攻擊,
The bravery of each bull is then rated with care
裁判以它受激后
according to the number of times he demonstrates his willingness
再向斗牛士進攻的次數多寡
to charge in spite of the sting of the blade.
來評定這只公牛的勇敢程度。
Henceforth will I recognize that each day
從今往后,我須承認,
I am tested by life in like manner.
我的生命每天都在接受類似的考驗。
If I persist,
如果我堅韌不拔,
if I continue to try,
勇往直前,
if I continue to charge forward,
迎接挑戰。
I will succeed.
那么我一定會成功。
I will persist until I succeed.
堅持不懈,直到成功。
I was not delivered unto this world in defeat,
我不是為了失敗才來到這個世界上的,
nor does failure course in my veins.
我的血管里也沒有失敗的血液在流動。
I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd.
我不是任人鞭打的羔羊,
I am a lion
我是猛獅,
and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep.
不與羊群為伍。
I will hear not those who weep and complain,
我不想聽失意者的哭泣,抱怨者的牢騷,
for their disease is contagious.
這是羊群中的瘟疫,
Let them join the sheep.
我不能被它傳染。
The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
失敗者的屠宰場不是我命運的歸宿。
I will persist until I succeed.
堅持不懈,直到成功。
The prizes of life are at the end of each journey,
生命的獎賞遠在旅途終點,
not near the beginning;
而非起點附近。
and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary
我不知道要走多少步
in order to reach my goal.
才能達到目標。
Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step,
踏上第一千步的時候,仍然可能遭到失敗。
yet success hides behind the next bend in the road.
但成功就藏在拐角后面,
Never will I know how close it lies
除非拐了彎,
unless I turn the corner.
我永遠不知道還有多遠。
Always will I take another step.
再前進一步,
If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another.
如果沒有用,就再向前一步。
In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.
事實上,每次進步一點點并不太難。
I will persist until I succeed.
堅持不懈,直到成功。
Henceforth, I will consider each day's effort as but one blow of my blade
從今往后,我承認每天的奮斗就像
against a mighty oak.
對參天大樹的一次砍擊,
The first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the third.
頭幾刀可能了無痕跡。
Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence.
每一擊看似微不足道,
Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble.
然而,累積起來,巨樹終會倒下。
So it will be with my efforts of today.
這恰如我今天的努力。
I will be liken to the rain drop which washes away the mountain;
就像沖洗高山的雨滴,
the ant who devours a tiger;
吞噬猛虎的螞蟻,
the star which brightens the earth;
照亮大地的星辰,
the slave who builds a pyramid.
建起金字塔的奴隸,
I will build my castle one brick at a time
我也要一磚一瓦地建造起自己的城堡,
for I know that small attempts,
因為我深知水滴石穿的道理,
repeated, will complete any undertaking.
只要持之以恒,什么都可以做到.
I will persist until I succeed.
堅持不懈,直到成功。
I will never consider defeat
我絕不考慮失敗,
and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit,
我的字典里不再有放棄、
cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question,
不可能、辦不到、沒法子、成問題、
improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat;
失敗、行不通、沒希望、退縮……
for they are the words of fools.
這類愚蠢的字眼。
I will avoid despair
我要盡量避免絕望,
but if this disease of the mind should infect me
一旦受到它的威脅,
then I will work on in despair.
立即想方設法向它挑戰。