Each new discovery further removed the need for a God.
每項新發現都進一步顯示 不太需要靠神明來解釋現象
After all,if you know the science behind an eclipse,
畢竟 若你懂了日食現象的科學背景
you're much less likely to believe in wolf gods that live in the sky.
就不太可能相信 天上住了什么天狼神
Science does not deny religion,just offers a simpler alternative.
科學不是要否定宗教 只是提供了較簡單的另一種答案
But several mysteries remain.
但仍有數個謎題未解
After all,if the Earth moves,could it be God that moves it?
畢竟 若地球會動 會不會是上帝讓它動的
Ultimately, did God create the Universe in the first place?
追根究底的問題是 宇宙是上帝創造的嗎 在最初的時候
In 1985,I attended a conference on cosmology at the Vatican in Rome.
1985年 我參加一場宇宙學大會 在羅馬的梵蒂岡
The gathering of scientists had an audience with Pope John Paul ll.
這場科學家的集會 教皇約翰·保羅二世也前來聆聽
He told us that it was okay to study the workings of the Universe.
他告訴我們 研究宇宙的運作是可以的
But we should not ask questions about its origin,
但我們不該探究宇宙的起源
for that was the work of God.
因為那是上帝的作為
I am glad to say I,for one,haven't followed his advice.
我很高興地說 還好我沒聽從他的告誡
I can't simply switch off my curiosity.
我無法壓抑自己的好奇心
I believe it's a cosmologist's duty to try and work out where the Universe came from.
我認為宇宙學家的責任 就是要致力于探索宇宙的起源
Luckily,it's not quite as difficult as it seems.
幸好并沒有表象那般困難