1、work out
想出,得到(解決方法);解(謎)
Negotiators are due to meet later today to work out a compromise.
談判人員定于今天晚些時候進行會談,商定一個折中方案。
It took me some time to work out what was causing this.
我花了一些時間才弄清此事的起因。
計算出,解出(數學題答案)
It is proving hard to work out the value of bankrupt firms' assets.
清算破產公司的資產值其實很困難。
When asked what a £40.35 meal for five people would cost each diner, they were unable to work it out.
問到5個人吃一頓飯花了40.35英鎊,每人要出多少錢時,他們算不出來。
(如期)發生;進展(順利)
Things just didn't work out as planned.
事情根本沒有按計劃進行。
I hope it will work out well.
我希望進展順利。
2、particular
特定的;特指的
I remembered a particular story about a postman who was a murderer.
我記得有個故事,講的是一個郵遞員殺人的事情。
I have to know exactly why it is I'm doing a particular job.
我必須明確知道我為什么要做特定的一項工作。
特殊的;特別的;獨特的
I have a particular responsibility to ensure I make the right decision.
我肩負特殊責任,必須確保自己作出的決定是正確的。
Fatigue is a particular problem for women.
疲勞是女性特有的問題。
沒什么重要(或特別)的事物(或人)
I went along thinking of nothing in particular only looking at things around me.
我一路走著,沒想什么特別的事,只是四下張望著。
Drew made some remarks to nobody in particular and said goodbye.
德魯說了一些不針對任何人的話就告辭了。