So I'm here to tell you that we have a problem with boys,
我在這兒是想告訴大家我們的對男孩的教育有問題,
and it's a serious problem with boys.
男孩子的教育是個嚴重問題。
Their culture isn't working in schools,
在學校,男孩文化沒有形成。
and I'm going to share with you ways that we can think about overcoming that problem.
我要和大家分享我們關于這一問題的解決方法。
First, I want to start by saying, this is a boy, and this is a girl,
首先,我首先想說,這是個男孩,這是個女孩。
and this is probably stereotypically what you think of as a boy and a girl.
這可能是你刻板的關于男孩和女孩的想法。
If I essentialize gender for you today,
如果我今天要講性別的事,
then you can dismiss what I have to say.
然后大家可能不會理睬我要說的。
So I'm not going to do that. I'm not interested in doing that.
所以我不打算這樣做,我對此也不感興趣。
This is a different kind of boy and a different kind of girl.
這是一個與眾不同的男孩,這是一個與眾不同的女孩。
So the point here is that not all boys
我要指明的是并不是所有的男孩
exist within these rigid boundaries of what we think of as boys and girls,
是按我們所想的男孩和女孩那樣的嚴格界限來劃分的。
and not all girls exist within those rigid boundaries of what we think of as girls.
也不是所有女孩可以用我們想象中的女孩的界限來嚴格定義。
But, in fact, most boys tend to be a certain way,
但事實上,多數男孩朝著他們自己的方向發展,
and most girls tend to be a certain way.
大多數女孩也朝著另一方向發展。
And the point is that, for boys,
關鍵是,對男孩來說,
the way that they exist and the culture that they embrace isn't working well in schools now.
對他們的認可和他們的這種男孩文化的認識,目前在學校都沒有過多了解。
How do we know that?
我們怎么知道這個事實呢?
The Hundred Girls Project tells us some really nice statistics.
100個女孩計劃告訴了我們一些真正有用的數據。
For example, for every 100 girls that are suspended from school,
例如,當有100個女孩從學校停課,
there are 250 boys that are suspended from school.
那就有250個男孩從學校停課。
For every 100 girls who are expelled from school,
每當有100個女孩被學校開除,
there are 335 boys who are expelled from school.
對應的男孩數是335個.
For every 100 girls in special education, there are 217 boys.
每當有100個女孩接受特殊教育,男孩數是217個。
For every 100 girls with a learning disability,
每100個女孩有學習障礙,
there are 276 boys.
男孩的對應數是276個。
For every 100 girls with an emotional disturbance diagnosed,
每100女孩有情緒紊亂癥狀,
we have 324 boys.
對應男孩數是324個。
And by the way, all of these numbers are significantly higher
順便提一下,
if you happen to be black,
如果發生在黑人小孩,
if you happen to be poor,
貧窮的小孩身上,
if you happen to exist in an overcrowded school.
假如發生在擁擠不堪的學校上學的小孩身上,這所有數據還得更高。
And if you are a boy,
如果你是個男孩,
you're four times as likely to be diagnosed with ADHD
你比女孩更有四倍的可能性被診斷出ADHD癥狀-
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
注意力缺乏(或多動)癥狀。
Now there is another side to this.
現在講到這還要提另一方面。
And it is important that we recognize that women still need help in school,
我們還要重視地認識到在學校女性還需要幫助,
that salaries are still significantly lower,
女性的工資還是相對地低,
even when controlled for job types,
甚至在工作種類上女性選擇面也小,
and that girls have continued to struggle in math and science for years.
女孩還一直在數學和科學領域中掙扎奮斗多年。
That's all true.
這都是事實。
Nothing about that prevents us from paying attention to the literacy needs of our boys between ages three and 13.
但這不能阻止我們來關注年齡從3歲到13歲的男孩的掃盲問題。
And so we should.
我們應該關注這些男孩的問題。
In fact, what we ought to do is take a page from their playbook,
事實上,我們要做的是站在男孩的立場來思考解決問題,
because the initiatives and programs
因為在學校已設置的初級教學和課程計劃
that have been set in place for women in science and engineering and mathematics are fantastic.
適合女孩在科學,工程學和數學方面有杰出表現。
They've done a lot of good for girls in these situations,
他們在這些情形下為女孩子作了很多好事。
and we ought to be thinking about how we can make that happen for boys too in their younger years.
我們該考慮一下我們該怎樣讓男孩在他們年少時也受到同樣的待遇。
Even in their older years, what we find is that there's still a problem.
甚至在他們長大的歲月中,我們發現還是有問題的。