And you actually start this game in a drop of water,
其實是從一滴水里開始這個游戲的,
as a very, very small single-cell creature,
這時你還是一個很小很小的單細胞生物,
and right off the bat you basically just have to live, survive, reproduce.
然后馬上你需要開始基本的生存、生活、繁衍。
So here we are, at a very microscopic scale, swimming around.
你看,它小極了,游來游去。
And I actually realize that cells don't have eyes,
我知道事實上細胞生物沒有眼睛,
but it helps to make it cute.
但是眼睛使它看起來更可愛。
The players are going to play through every generation of this species,
玩家會逐步經歷這個物種的每一代進化,
and as you play the game the creature is actually growing bit by bit.
當你玩這個游戲的時候,這個生物就一點一點地長大。
And as we start growing the camera will actually start zooming out,
當它開始生長的時候,鏡頭會變焦
and things that you see in the background there will actually start slowly pulling into the foreground,
使得你在背景中看到的景物會慢慢地往前移,
showing you a little bit of what you'll be interacting with as you grow.
讓你知道當它成長的時候會遇到什么。
So as we eat, the camera starts pulling out,
瞧,當它進食的時候,鏡頭會拉遠,
and then we start interacting with kind of larger and larger organisms.
然后我們開始和越來越大的生物體互動。
Now, we actually play through many generations here, at the cellular scale.
我們可以在細胞層面經歷好多代。
I'm going to skip ahead here.
我要跳過這一級了。
At some point we get larger, and we actually get to a macro-evolution scale.
當我們變大之后,就會進入到進化的宏觀層面。
Now at this point we're leaving the water,
在這個界面中,我們離開了水,
and one thing that's kind of important about this game is that, at every level,
這個游戲中很重要的一點是,在每一個級別中,
the player is designing their creature, and that's a fundamental aspect of this.
玩家可以自己設計生物的形態。這是很基本的。
Now, in the evolution game here,
那么,在這個進化游戲中,
the creature scale, basically you have to eat, survive, and then reproduce.
在生物的層面上,你要做的基本上就是進食、生存、繁殖。
You know, very Darwinian.
這很符合達爾文的理論。
One thing we noticed with "The Sims,"
大家在我以前創作的“模擬”系列游戲中
which is a game I did earlier, is that players love making stuff.
已經注意到,玩家喜歡做東西。
When they were able to make stuff in the game
當他們自己可以制作東西時,
they had a tremendous amount of empathy in connection to it.
他們就會對它產生極大的共情感,
Even if it wasn't as pretty as what other people would make it
哪怕做出來的東西并不是人們想象的那么美麗
as a professional artist would make for games
就像專業的藝術家為游戲設計的那樣
it really stuck with them and they really cared about what would happen to it.
但玩家對它們不離不棄,對它遇到的一切非常關心。
So at this point, we've left the water, and now with this little creature --
所以現在,我們離開了水。我們可以讓這個小家伙——
we could bring up the volume a little bit -- and now we might try to eat.
我們可以把音量調大一點——讓它吃東西,
We might sneak up on this little guy over here maybe, and try and eat him.
我們可以悄悄接近這個小東西,然后吃掉它。
OK, well, we fight.
好,我們干一架。
OK, we got him. Now we get a meal.
嗯,我們打敗了它。現在我們開吃。
So really, at this part of the game,
所以在游戲的這個部分,
what we're doing is we're running around and surviving,
我們就是在游蕩和生存,
and also getting to the next generation,
并且制造下一代,
because we're going to play through every generation of this creature.
因為我們要經歷這個生物的每一代。
We can mate, so I'm going to see if one of these creatures wants to mate with me.
我們可以交配,所以我要看看這個同類是不是愿意和我交配。
Yeah. We didn't want to replay actual evolution with humans and all that
嗯。我們并不想重復人類實際的進化過程,
because it's almost more interesting to look at alternate possibilities in evolution.
因為看看別的可能也許更加有趣。
Evolution is usually presented as this one path that we took through,
我們經歷的進化過程有時候顯得像是唯一的方式
but really it represents this huge set of possibilities.
但是進化其實有很多的可能方式