"What is it about?" I continued.
"它說些什么?"我繼續問。
I hardly know where I found the hardihood thus to open a conversation with a stranger.
我自己也不知道哪里來的膽子,居然同一個陌生人說起話來。
The step was contrary to my nature and habits.
這回我的性格與積習相悖。
But I think her occupation touched a chord of sympathy somewhere,
不過她的專注興許打動了我,
for I too liked reading, though of a frivolous and childish kind.
因為我也喜歡讀書,盡管是淺薄幼稚的一類。
I could not digest or comprehend the serious or substantial.
對那些主題嚴肅內存充實的書,我是無法消化或理解的。
"You may look at it," replied the girl, offering me the book.
"你可以看一下,"這姑娘回答說,一面把書遞給我。
I did so.
我看了看。

A brief examination convinced me that the contents were less taking than the title.
我便確信書的內容不像書名那么吸引人。
Rasselas looked dull to my trifling taste.
以我那種瑣細的口味來說,"拉塞拉斯"顯得很枯燥。
I saw nothing about fairies, nothing about genii.
我看不到仙女,也看不到妖怪。
No bright variety seemed spread over the closely-printed pages.
密密麻麻印著字的書頁中,沒有鮮艷奪目豐富多彩的東西。
I returned it to her.
我把書遞還給她。
She received it quietly, and without saying anything she was about to relapse into her former studious mood.
她默默地收下了,二話沒說又要回到剛才苦用功的心境中去。
Again I ventured to disturb her.
我卻再次冒昧打擾了她。
"Can you tell me what the writing on that stone over the door means? What is Lowood Institution?"
"能告訴我們門上那塊石匾上的字是什么意思嗎?羅沃德學校是什么?"
"This house where you are come to live."
"就是你來住宿的這所房子。"
"And why do they call it Institution? Is it in any way different from other schools?"
"他們為什么叫它‘學校’呢?與別的學校有什么不同嗎?"
"It is partly a charity-school: you and I, and all the rest of us, are charity-children.
"這是個半慈善性質的學校,你我以及所有其他人都是慈善學校的孩子。
I suppose you are an orphan. Are not either your father or your mother dead?"
我猜想你也是個孤兒。你父親或者母親去世了嗎?"
"Both died before I can remember."
"我能記事之前就都去世了。"
"Well, all the girls here have lost either one or both parents, and this is called an institution for educating orphans."
"是呀,這里的姑娘們不是夫去了爹或媽,便是父母都沒有了,這兒叫作教育孤兒的學校。"
"Do we pay no money? Do they keep us for nothing?"
"我們不付錢嗎?他們免費護養我們嗎?"
"We pay, or our friends pay, fifteen pounds a year for each."
"我們自己,或者我們的朋友付十五英鎊一年。"
"Then why do they call us charity-children?"
"那他們為什么管我們叫慈善學校的孩子?"
"Because fifteen pounds is not enough for board and teaching, and the deficiency is supplied by subscription."
"因為十五英鎊不夠付住宿貨和學費,缺額由捐款來補足。"
"Who subscribes?"
"誰捐呢?"
"Different benevolent-minded ladies and gentlemen in this neighbourhood and in London."
"這里附近或者倫敦心腸慈善的太太們和紳士們。"
"Who was Naomi Brocklehurst?"
"內奧米·布羅克赫斯特是誰?"
"The lady who built the new part of this house as that tablet records, and whose son overlooks and directs everything here."
"就像匾上寫著的那樣,是建造大樓新區部份的太太,她的兒子監督和指揮這里的一切。"
"Why?"
"為什么?"
"Because he is treasurer and manager of the establishment."
"因為他是這個學校的司庫和管事。"