As yet I had spoken to no one, nor did anybody seem to take notice of me.
我沒有同人說過話,也似乎沒有人注意到我。
I stood lonely enough, but to that feeling of isolation I was accustomed.
我孤零零地站著,但己經習慣于那種孤獨感。
It did not oppress me much.
我并不覺得十分壓抑。
I leant against a pillar of the verandah, drew my grey mantle close about me,
我倚在游廊的柱子上,將灰色的斗篷拉得緊緊地裹著自己,
and,trying to forget the cold which nipped me without, and the unsatisfied hunger which gnawed me within,
竭力忘卻身外刺骨的嚴寒,忘卻肚子里折磨著我的饑饉,
delivered myself up to the employment of watching and thinking.
全身心去觀察和思考。
My reflections were too undefined and fragmentary to merit record.
我的思索含含糊糊,零零碎碎,不值得落筆。
I hardly yet knew where I was.
我幾乎不知道自己身居何處。

Gateshead and my past life seemed floated away to an immeasurable distance.
蓋茨黑德和往昔的生活似乎已經流逝,與現時現地已有天壤之隔。
The present was vague and strange, and of the future I could form no conjecture.
現實既模糊又離奇,而未來又不是我所能想象。
I looked round the convent-like garden, and then up at the house
我朝四周看了看修道院一般的花園,又抬頭看了看建筑。
— a large building, half of which seemed grey and old, the other half quite new.
這是幢大樓,一半似乎灰暗古舊,另一半卻很新。
The new part, containing the schoolroom and dormitory, was lit by mullioned and latticed windows, which gave it a church-like aspect.
的一半里安排了教室和寢室,直欞格子窗里燈火通明,頗有教堂氣派。
A stone tablet over the door bore this inscription: “Lowood Institution.
門上有一塊石頭牌子,上面刻著這樣的文字:“羅沃德學校
This portion was rebuilt A.D. , by Naomi Brocklehurst, of Brocklehurst Hall, in this county.”
這部份由本郡布羅克赫斯特府的內奧米·布羅克赫斯特重建于公元××××年?!?/div>
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” — St. Matt. v. 16.
你們的光也當這樣照在人前,叫他們看見你們的好行為,便將榮耀歸給你們在天上的父?!薄恶R太福音》第五章第十六節。
I read these words over and over again.
我一遍遍讀著這些字。
I felt that an explanation belonged to them, and was unable fully to penetrate their import.
覺得它們應該有自己的解釋,卻無法充分理解其內涵。
I was still pondering the signification of “Institution,”
我正在思索“學校”一字的含義,
and endeavouring to make out a connection between the first words and the verse of Scripture,
竭力要找出開首幾個字與經文之間的聯系
when the sound of a cough close behind me made me turn my head.
,卻聽得身后一聲咳嗽,便回過頭去。
I saw a girl sitting on a stone bench near.
我看到一位姑娘坐在近處的石凳上。
She was bent over a book, on the perusal of which she seemed intent.
她正低頭聚精會神地細讀著一本書。
From where I stood I could see the title — it was “Rasselas;” a name that struck me as strange, and consequently attractive.
從我站著的地方可以看到,這本書的書名是《拉塞拉斯》。這名字聽來有些陌生,因而也就吸引了我。
In turning a leaf she happened to look up, and I said to her directly:"Is your book interesting?"
她翻書的時候,碰巧抬起頭來,于是我直截了當地說:“你這本書有趣嗎?”
I had already formed the intention of asking her to lend it to me some day.
我己經起了某一天向她借書的念頭。
“I like it,” she answered, after a pause of a second or two, during which she examined me.
“我是喜歡的,”她頓了一兩秒鐘,打量了我一下后回答道。
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201512/416050.shtml