I want to talk a little bit about
我今天就希望講講這一點
the Democratic Republic of Congo.
首先是民主剛果共和國
For me, it was the turning point of my life.
對我來說,那是一個人生的轉折點
I have spent a lot of time there in the last three years.
過去三年,我在那里度過了相當長的一段時間
I feel up to that point I had seen a lot in the world,
在那以前,我覺得自己領略過人間萬象
a lot of violence.
各種的暴力
I essentially lived in the rape mines of the world for the last 12 years.
事實上,過去12年里我生活在世界許多強奸重災區中
But the Democratic Republic of Congo
但是,民主剛果
really was the turning point in my soul.
確實成為了我心靈的轉折點
I went and I spent time
我那時候去的是一個叫
in a place called Bukavu
布卡武的地方
in a hospital called the Panzi Hospital,
我就在當地的潘伊醫院
with a doctor who was as close to a saint as any person I've ever met.
我遇到了一個醫生,他是我見過的最接近圣人的一位
His name is Dr. Denis Mukwege.
他的名字是登尼斯·穆維格
In the Congo, for those of you who don't know,
假如你還不知道,在過去的12年,里,
there has been a war raging for the last 12 years,
剛果民主共和國一直在經歷內戰
a war that has killed nearly six million people.
那場戰爭使得六百萬人喪命
It is estimated that somewhere between 300,000 and 500,000 women
據估計,有三十萬到五十萬的婦女
have been raped there.
在戰爭中被強暴
When I spent my first weeks at Panzi hospital
我在潘伊醫院第一周的時候
I sat with women
我和那里的婦女坐在一起
who sat and lined up every day to tell me their stories.
她們會坐起來,一個一個的跟我講故事
Their stories were so horrific,
她們的故事是如此的讓人感到恐怖
and so mind-blowing and so on the other side of human existence,
讓人震撼不已,展現了人類生存狀況得另一面,
that to be perfectly honest with you, I was shattered.
說實話,聽了那些故事,我心都碎了。
And I will tell you that what happened
我慢慢的告訴大家一些故事吧
is through that shattering,
正是因為那種被撕裂的感覺
listening to the stories of eight-year-old girls who had their insides eviscerated,
那種聆聽八歲的女孩將心底之故事全盤托出的經歷
who had guns and bayonets and things shoved inside them
她們的身體都曾遭槍或長劍的凌辱
so they had holes, literally, inside them
她們的身體上的的確確是存在這樣那樣的洞
where their pee and poop came out of them.
她們的排泄物都是從那里排出的
Listening to the story of 80-year-old women
還有聆聽八十歲的老婦人告訴我
who were tied to chains and circled,
她們曾被綁在鐵鏈上,串成一圈兒,
and where groups of men would come and rape them periodically,
一群男人然后就不定時的進來,輪奸她們
all in the name of economic exploitation
這一切,都是在經濟擴張的名義下進行的
to steal the minerals so the West can have it and profit from them.
大公司開掘礦藏,這樣他們就可以收獲漁利
My mind was so shattered.
我的內心被撕裂了
But what happened for me is that that shattering
但對于我來說,那種撕裂反而
actually emboldened me
使得我變得更加堅強
in a way I have never been emboldened.
那也是從來沒有過的
That shattering, that opening of my girl cell,
我的女孩細胞也由此而打開
that kind of massive breakthrough of my heart
我的心靈獲得巨大突破
allowed me to become more courageous, and braver,
我的心靈獲得巨大突破,都使我變得更勇敢
and actually more clever
也變得更加聰明
than I had been in the past in my life.
這是以前從未有過的
I want to say that I think the powers that be
另外我想說,有一種必須讓人知道的力量,
know that empire-building
其實,感情是阻礙帝國大廈成為帝國大廈的
is actually -- that feelings get in the way of empire-building.
帝國大廈,
Feelings get in the way of the mass acquisition of the Earth,
良知會阻擋人們瘋狂挖掘地球資源
and excavating the Earth, and destroying things.
掏空地球,毀滅萬物。
I remember, for example, when my father,
我記得,我的父親,他是非常非常暴力的一個人
who was very, very violent, used to beat me.
他常打我
And he would actually say, while he was beating me,
他,在打我的時候,會這么跟我說,
"Don't you cry. Don't you dare cry."
“你為什么不哭?你不敢哭嗎?”
Because my crying somehow exposed his brutality to him.
因為只要我哭,他也許就會感到自己的暴力
And even in the moment he didn't want to be reminded
即便當時他并不想
of what he was doing.
被提醒他正在做什么
I know that we have systematically annihilated the girl cell.
我只知道,我們的社會系統性地殲滅了女孩細胞
And I want to say we've annihilated it in men as well as in women.
不單在男人身上,也在女人身上
And I think in some ways
我認為,
we've been much harsher to men
在某種程度
in the annihilation of their girl cell.
人們更殘忍地對待男人身上的“女孩細胞”
I see how boys have been brought up, and I see this across the planet:
我看到男孩子是如何被養大的,全世界都是這樣
to be tough, to be hardened,
家長都會希望自己的孩子變得更壯、更堅強
to distance themselves from their tenderness, to not cry.
遠離脆弱,不要哭泣