1. Looking-glass house
1. 鏡子屋
One thing was certain, it was the black kitten that began it all.
小黑貓是這個故事的緣起,這是肯定的。
The white kitten had been unable to do anything for the last quarter of an hour, because the old cat was washing its face, very slowly and very carefully.
小白貓什么事也干不了,因為,過去的一刻鐘,他一直在慢悠悠地仔細地洗著自己的臉兒。
But the black kitten was free to do what it wanted.
相反,小黑貓卻自由自在的做自己想做的事。
And so, while Alice was sitting in a corner of the great armchair, half talking to herself and half asleep,
愛麗絲坐在一張大扶手椅的角上,自言自語,睡意蒙眬,
the kitten was playing a grand game with a ball of wool.
小黑貓逗著一個毛線團兒,玩得正開心。
Soon the wool was lying in a terrible tangle all over the carpet, with the kitten running after its own tail in the middle.
過不多時,整個地毯全是一團糟的毛線,小黑貓在中間追著自己的尾巴跑。
'Oh, you bad little thing!' cried Alice, when she saw the wool.
愛麗絲看見毛線,叫了聲“你這個小淘氣!”
She picked up the kitten and climbed back into the armchair.
她提起小黑貓,重又回到扶手椅上。
'You really mustn't play with the wool, you know. It will take me so long to roll the ball up again.
接著又說:“你真不應該追著線團兒玩。要把它繞好,我要費多大功夫呀!
Why don't you play chess instead, Kitty?
小貓兒,干嗎不下下棋?
When I was playing a while ago, you were watching me so carefully.
剛才我下棋,你一直在用心看我。
In fact, you look just like the Red Queen yourself.'
其實,你外表活像紅方王后?!?/div>
And Alice picked up the Red Queen from the chessmen on the table, and held it up to show the kitten.
愛麗絲從桌上棋子兒里拿了紅方王后,舉在空中給小黑貓看。
But the kitten tried to escape, and, to punish it, Alice lifted it up to the looking-glass above the fireplace.
但貓兒掙脫著想逃跑,愛麗絲就把它提到壁爐上方的鏡子前,以示懲罰。
'If you're not good, Kitty,' she said, 'I'll put you through into looking-glass house
她說:“貓兒,如果你不乖,我就讓你穿透鏡子,把你放到鏡子屋去。
How would you like that?'
你意下如何?”
'I do wonder,' Alice went on, 'if everything in that room is the same as in our room.
愛麗絲繼續說:“我的確不知道那兒房間的擺設是否跟我們這兒的一個樣子。
The things that I can see look the same-except the books, because the words go the wrong way.
我看得見的東西外形都沒有什么兩樣--只是書不同,因為字體方向倒錯。
But perhaps the rest of the house is really different and full of interesting things.
可能屋子的其他方面確有差別,而且有許多好玩的東西。
Oh, I wish we could get through, Kitty! Let's pretend we can.
小貓,我們能到那兒去該多好!我們裝作可以進到里面去。
Let's pretend the glass has gone soft and…Why, I do believe it has! It's turning into a kind of cloud…'
假設玻璃軟化了……化作了一團云,我真的信以為真了呢!”
Alice did not know how it happened, but while she was speaking, she found herself climbing up to the looking-glass.
愛麗絲不明白這是怎么回事,但正在她說話的當兒,她發現自己正在往鏡子上爬。
And the glass was beginning to disappear, just like a bright silvery cloud.
鏡子開始消失,就像銀光閃閃的一朵云。