Out of these deep surrounding shades rose high, and glared white,
床上高高地疊著褥墊和枕頭,上面鋪著雪白的馬賽布床罩,
the piled-up mattresses and pillows of the bed, spread with a snowy Marseilles counterpane.
在周圍深色調陳設的映襯下,白得眩目。
Scarcely less prominent was an ample cushioned easy-chair near the head of the bed, also white,
幾乎同樣顯眼的是床頭邊一把鋪著坐墊的大安樂椅,一樣的白色,
with a footstool before it; and looking, as I thought, like a pale throne.
前面還放著一只腳凳,在我看來,它像一個蒼白的寶座。
This room was chill, because it seldom had a fire.
房子里難得生火,所以很冷。
It was silent, because remote from the nursery and kitchens.
因為遠離保育室和廚房,所以很靜。

Solemn, because it was known to be so seldom entered.
又因為誰都知道很少有人進去,所以顯得莊嚴肅穆。
The housemaid alone came here on Saturdays, to wipe from the mirrors and the furniture a week's quiet dust.
只有女傭每逢星期六上這里來,把一周內靜悄悄落在鏡子上和家具上的灰塵抹去。
And Mrs. Reed herself, at far intervals, visited it to review the contents of a certain secret drawer in the wardrobe,
還有里德太太本人,隔好久才來一次,查看大櫥里某個秘密抽屜里的東西。
where were stored divers parchments, her jewel-casket, and a miniature of her deceased husband.
這里存放著各類羊皮文件,她的首飾盒,以及她已故丈夫的肖像。
And in those last words lies the secret of the red-room, the spell which kept it so lonely in spite of its grandeur.
上面提到的最后幾句話,給紅房子帶來了一種神秘感,一種魔力,因而它雖然富麗堂皇,卻顯得分外凄清。
Mr. Reed had been dead nine years. It was in this chamber he breathed his last. Here he lay in state.
里德先生死去已經九年了,他就是在這間房子里咽氣的。他的遺體在這里讓人瞻仰。
Hence his coffin was borne by the undertaker's men.
他的棺材由殯葬工人從這里抬走。
And, since that day, a sense of dreary consecration had guarded it from frequent intrusion.
從此之后,這里便始終彌漫著一種陰森森的祭奠氛圍,所以不常有人闖進來。
My seat, to which Bessie and the bitter Miss Abbot had left me riveted, was a low ottoman near the marble chimney-piece.
貝茜和刻薄的艾博特小姐讓我一動不動坐著的,是一條軟墊矮凳,擺在靠近大理石壁爐的地方。
The bed rose before me; to my right hand there was the high, dark wardrobe, with subdued, broken reflections varying the gloss of its panels.
我面前是高聳的床,我右面是黑漆漆的大櫥,櫥上柔和、斑駁的反光,使鑲板的光澤搖曳變幻。
To my left were the muffled windows; a great looking-glass between them repeated the vacant majesty of the bed and room.
我左面是關得嚴嚴實實的窗子,兩扇窗子中間有一面大鏡子,映照出床和房間的空曠和肅穆。
I was not quite sure whether they had locked the door.
我吃不準他們鎖了門沒有。
And when I dared move, I got up and went to see.
等到敢于走動時,便起來看個究竟。
Alas! yes. No jail was ever more secure.
哎呀,不錯,比牢房鎖得還緊吶。
Returning, I had to cross before the looking-glass.
返回原地時,我必須經過大鏡子跟前。
My fascinated glance involuntarily explored the depth it revealed.
我的目光被吸引住了,禁不住探究起鏡中的世界來。
All looked colder and darker in that visionary hollow than in reality.
在虛幻的映像中,一切都顯得比現實中更冷落、更陰沉。
And the strange little figure there gazing at me, with a white face and arms specking the gloom,
那個陌生的小家伙瞅著我,白白的臉上和胳膊上都蒙上了斑駁的陰影,
and glittering eyes of fear moving where all else was still, had the effect of a real spirit.
在—切都凝滯時,唯有那雙明亮恐懼的眼睛在閃動,看上去真像是一個幽靈。
I thought it like one of the tiny phantoms, half fairy, half imp, Bessie's evening stories represented as coming out of lone,
我覺得她像那種半仙半人的小精靈,恰如貝茵在夜晚的故事中所描繪的那樣,
ferny dells in moors, and appearing before the eyes of belated travellers. I returned to my stool.
從沼澤地帶山蕨叢生的荒谷中冒出來,現身于遲歸的旅行者眼前。我回到了我的矮凳上。