A singular notion dawned upon me.
我忽然閃過一個古怪的念頭。
I doubted not- never doubted-that if Mr. Reed had been alive he would have treated me kindly.
我不懷疑—一也從來沒有懷疑過 — 里德先生要是在世,一定會待我很好。
And now, as I sat looking at the white bed and overshadowed walls-occasionally also turning a fascinated eye towards the dimly gleaming mirror,
此刻,我坐著,一面打量著白白的床和影影綽綽的墻,不時還用經不住誘惑的目光,瞟一眼泛著微光的鏡子,
I began to recall what I had heard of dead men, troubled in their graves by the violation of their last wishes,
不由得憶起了關于死人的種種傳聞。據說由于人們違背了他們臨終的囑托,他們在墳墓里非常不安,
revisiting the earth to punish the perjured and avenge the oppressed.
于是便重訪人間,嚴懲發假誓的人,并為受壓者報仇。

And I thought Mr. Reed's spirit, harassed by the wrongs of his sister's child,
我思忖,里德先生的幽靈為外甥女的冤屈所動,
might quit its abode- whether in the church vault or in the unknown world of the departed, and rise before me in this chamber.
會走出居所,不管那是教堂的墓穴,還是死者無人知曉的世界,來到這間房子,站在我面前。
I wiped my tears and hushed my sobs, fearful lest any sign of violent grief might waken a preternatural voice to comfort me,
我抹去眼淚,忍住哭泣,擔心嚎啕大哭會驚動什么不可知的聲音來撫慰我,
or elicit from the gloom some haloed face, bending over me with strange pity.
或者在昏暗中召來某些帶光環的面孔,露出奇異憐憫的神色,俯身對著我。
This idea, consolatory in theory, I felt would be terrible if realised.
這念頭聽起來很令人欣慰,不過要是真的做起來,想必會非??膳?。
With all my might I endeavoured to stifle it-I endeavoured to be firm.
我使勁不去想它,抬起頭來,大著膽子環顧了一下暗洞洞的房間。
Shaking my hair from my eyes, I lifted my head and tried to look boldly round the dark room.
抬起頭來,大著膽子環顧了一下暗洞洞的房間。
At this moment a light gleamed on the wall.
就在這時,墻上閃過一道亮光。
Was it, I asked myself, a ray from the moon penetrating some aperture in the blind?
我問自己,會不會是一縷月光,透過百葉窗的縫隙照了進來?
No, moonlight was still, and this stirred.
不,月光是靜止的,而這透光卻是流動的。
While I gazed, it glided up to the ceiling and quivered over my head.
停晴一看,這光線滑到了天花板上,在我頭頂上抖動起來。
I can now conjecture readily that this streak of light was, in all likelihood, a gleam from a lantern carried by some one across the lawn.
現在我會很自然地聯想到,那很可能是有人提著燈籠穿過草地時射進來的光。
But then, prepared as my mind was for horror, shaken as my nerves were by agitation,
但那會兒,我腦子里盡往恐怖處去想,我的神經也由于激動而非常緊張,
I thought the swift darting beam was a herald of some coming vision from another world.
我認為那道飛快掠過的光,是某個幽靈從另一個世界到來的先兆。
My heart beat thick, my head grew hot.
我的心怦怦亂跳,頭腦又熱又脹
A sound filled my ears, which I deemed the rushing of wings.
耳朵里呼呼作響,以為那是翅膀拍擊聲
Something seemed near me.
好像什么東西已經逼近我了。
I was oppressed, suffocated, endurance broke down;
我感到壓抑,感到窒息,我的忍耐力崩潰了。
I rushed to the door and shook the lock in desperate effort.
禁不住發瘋似地大叫了一聲,沖向大門,拼命搖著門鎖。
Steps came running along the outer passage; the key turned, Bessie and Abbot entered.
外面們廊上響起了飛跑而來的腳步聲,鑰匙轉動了,貝茜和艾博特走進房間。
'Miss Eyre, are you ill?' said Bessie.
"愛小姐,你病了嗎?"貝茜說。
'What a dreadful noise! It went quite through me!' exclaimed Abbot.
“發出那么恐怖的喊叫聲!好似要穿透我了!”艾博特驚嘆到。