“Do you feel as if you should sleep, Miss?” asked Bessie, rather softly.
“你覺得該睡了嗎,小姐?”貝茜問,口氣相當溫存。
Scarcely dared I answer her, for I feared the next sentence might be rough. “I will try.”
我幾乎不敢回答她,害怕接著的話粗魯不中聽。“我試試。”
“Would you like to drink, or could you eat anything?”
“你想喝什么,或者能吃點什么嗎?”
“No, thank you, Bessie.”
“不啦,謝謝,貝茜。”
“Then I think I shall go to bed, for it is past twelve o' clock, but you may call me if you want anything in the night.”
“那我去睡了,已經過了十二點啦,不過要是夜里需要什么,你盡管叫我。”
Wonderful civility this! It emboldened me to ask a question.
多么彬彬有禮啊!于是我大著膽子問了個問題。

“Bessie, what is the matter with me? Am I ill?”
“貝茜,我怎啦?病了嗎?”
“You fell sick, I suppose, in the red-room with crying; you'll be better soon, no doubt.”
“你是病了,猜想是在紅房子里哭出病來的,肯定很快就會好的。”
Bessie went into the housemaid's apartment, which was near.
貝茵走進了附近傭人的臥房。
I heard her say: Sarah, come and sleep with me in the nursery.
我聽見她說:薩拉,過來同我一起睡在保育室吧。
I daren't for my life be alone with that poor child to-night. She might die.
今兒晚上,就是要我命,我也不敢同那個可憐孩子單獨過夜了。她說不定會死的。
It's such a strange thing she should have that fit.
真奇怪她竟會昏過去。
I wonder if she saw anything. Missis was rather too hard.
不知道她看見了什么沒有。里德太太也太狠心了。
Sarah came back with her. They both went to bed.
薩拉跟著她回來了,兩人都上了床。
They were whispering together for half-an-hour before they fell asleep.
嘁嘁喳喳講了半個小時才睡著。
I caught scraps of their conversation, from which I was able only too distinctly to infer the main subject discussed.
我只聽到了片言只語,但我可以清楚地推斷出她們討論的主題。
“Something passed her, all dressed in white, and vanished.”
“有個東西從她身邊經過,一身素裝,轉眼就不見了。”
“A great black dog behind him.”
“一條大黑狗跟在后面。”
“Three loud raps on the chamber door.”
“在房門上砰砰砰”敲了三下。”
“A light in the churchyard just over his grave,” etc. etc.
“墓地里一道白光正好掠過他墳墓”等等等等。
At last both slept. The fire and the candle went out.
最后,兩人都睡著了,爐火和燭光也都熄滅。
For me, the watches of that long night passed in ghastly wakefulness.
我就這么可怕地醒著挨過了漫漫長夜。
Ear, eye and mind were liked strained by dread, such dread as children only can feel.
害怕得耳朵、眼睛和頭腦都緊張起來,這種恐俱是只有兒童才能感受到的。
No severe or prolonged bodily illness followed this incident of the red-room.
紅房子事件并沒有給我身體留下嚴重或慢性的后遺癥
It only gave my nerves a shock of which I feel the reverberation to this day.
它不過使我的神經受了驚嚇,對此我至今記憶猶新。
Yes, Mrs. Reed, to you I owe some fearful pangs of mental suffering, but I ought to forgive you, for you knew not what you did.
是的,里德太太,你讓我領受了可怕的精神創傷,但我應當原諒你、因為你并不明白自己干了些什么。
While rending my heart-strings, you thought you were only uprooting my bad propensities.
明明是在割斷我的心弦,卻自以為無非是要根除我的惡習。