So for any of us in this room today,
今天在座的各位,
let's start out by admitting we're lucky.
我們先承認我們是幸運的。
We don't live in the world
我們沒有生活在
our mothers lived in, our grandmothers lived in,
我們母親和我們祖母生活過的那個世界,
where career choices for women were so limited.
在那時女性的職業選擇是非常有限的。
And if you're in this room today,
今天在座的各位,
most of us grew up in a world
大多數人成長于一個
where we had basic civil rights,
女性有基本公民權的世界。
and amazingly, we still live in a world
令人驚訝地是,我們還生活在一個
where some women don't have them.
有些女性還沒有這些權利的世界。
But all that aside, we still have a problem,
但除上所述,我們還有一個問題,
and it's a real problem.
它是一個實際問題。
And the problem is this:
這問題是:
Women are not making it
在世界各地,女性沒達到
to the top of any profession
任何職業
anywhere in the world.
的高管職位。
The numbers tell the story quite clearly.
這些數據很清楚地告訴我們這實情。
190 heads of state --
190個國家元首里,
nine are women.
九位是女性領導。
Of all the people in parliament in the world,
在世界上議會的總人數中,
13 percent are women.
13%是女性議員。
In the corporate sector,
在公司部門,
women at the top,
女性占據高位,
C-level jobs, board seats --
C級職位,董事會席位
tops out at 15, 16 percent.
高管職位比例占15%,16%。
The numbers have not moved since 2002
自從2002年起這數據沒變化過
and are going in the wrong direction.
有下降趨勢。
And even in the non-profit world,
即使在非營利的行業,
a world we sometimes think of
我們有時認為這一行業
as being led by more women,
是被更多女性所領導的,
women at the top: 20 percent.
女性領導人占20%。
We also have another problem,
我們還面臨著另一個問題,
which is that women face harder choices
就是女性
between professional success and personal fulfillment.
在職業成功和個人價值實現中所面臨的艱難選擇。
A recent study in the U.S.
美國最近一個研究
showed that, of married senior managers,
表明,已婚高管人員,
two-thirds of the married men had children
三分之二的已婚男性高管人員有孩子
and only one-third of the married women had children.
只有三分之一的已婚女性高管人員有孩子。
A couple of years ago, I was in New York,
幾年前,我在紐約,
and I was pitching a deal,
出席一個協議,
and I was in one of those fancy New York private equity offices
在那種別致的紐約私募投資辦事處中的一個
you can picture.
你能想象到的。
And I'm in the meeting -- it's about a three-hour meeting --
我在這個大約有3小時的會議上,
and two hours in, there kind of needs to be that bio break,
過了2小時,有個間歇休息,
and everyone stands up,
所有人都站起來,
and the partner running the meeting
這會議組織者
starts looking really embarrassed.
開始顯得的確很尷尬。
And I realized he doesn't know
我意識到他不知道
where the women's room is in his office.
在他辦公室哪里是女洗手間。
So I start looking around for moving boxes,
所以我開始尋找移動廁所,
figuring they just moved in, but I don't see any.
盤算他們剛搬進來,但我沒有看到任何移動廁所。
And so I said, "Did you just move into this office?"
然后我說,“你是剛搬到這辦公室嗎?”
And he said, "No, we've been here about a year."
他說,“不是,我們在這兒已經有一年了?!?/div>
And I said, "Are you telling me
我說,“你能否告訴我
that I am the only woman
這一年來,
to have pitched a deal in this office in a year?"
我是唯一一個來這間辦公室的女性嗎?”
And he looked at me, and he said,
他看著我,說到,
"Yeah. Or maybe you're the only one who had to go to the bathroom."
“是的?;蛘哒f你可能是唯一一個要上女性洗手間?!?/div>
So the question is,
所以問題是,
how are we going to fix this?
我們該怎樣解決這樣的尷尬?
How do we change these numbers at the top?
我們怎樣改變這些高管職位的比例?
How do we make this different?
我們怎樣使這個變得不同?
I want to start out by saying,
我首先想說,
I talk about this --
我談這個
about keeping women in the workforce --
女性就職
because I really think that's the answer.
因為我的確認為我們得找到答案。
In the high-income part of our workforce,
在我們勞動力的高收入的部分,
in the people who end up at the top --
在高管的人員中
Fortune 500 CEO jobs,
財富500強首席執行長官中,
or the equivalent in other industries --
或在其它類似的高管行業中,
the problem, I am convinced,
我確信,問題
is that women are dropping out.
是女性被排除在外。
Now people talk about this a lot,
當下人們對此談了很多,
and they talk about things like flextime and mentoring
他們談到像彈性時間和指導
and programs companies should have to train women.
和公司應該培訓婦女的計劃的事。
I want to talk about none of that today,
今天我不想談這些
even though that's all really important.
盡管所有這些事都非常重要。
Today I want to focus on what we can do as individuals.
今天我想關注作為個人我們所能做到的事。
What are the messages we need to tell ourselves?
我們要告訴給自己的事是什么?
What are the messages we tell the women who work with and for us?
我們告訴給女同事和打工的女性的事是什么?
What are the messages we tell our daughters?
我們要告訴給我們女兒的事是什么?
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
fulfillment | [ful'filmənt] |
想一想再看 n. 滿足,完成,履行 |
||
limited | ['limitid] |
想一想再看 adj. 有限的,被限制的 |
||
senior | ['si:njə] |
想一想再看 adj. 年長的,高級的,資深的,地位較高的 |
聯想記憶 | |
equivalent | [i'kwivələnt] |
想一想再看 adj. 等價的,相等的 |
聯想記憶 | |
partner | ['pɑ:tnə] |
想一想再看 n. 搭檔,伙伴,合伙人 |
聯想記憶 | |
professional | [prə'feʃənl] |
想一想再看 adj. 職業的,專業的,專門的 |
||
corporate | ['kɔ:pərit] |
想一想再看 adj. 社團的,法人的,共同的,全體的 |
聯想記憶 | |
convinced | [kən'vinst] |
想一想再看 adj. 信服的 |
||
equity | ['ekwəti] |
想一想再看 n. 權益,產權,(無固定利息的)股票,衡平法 |
聯想記憶 | |
embarrassed | [im'bærəst] |
想一想再看 adj. 尷尬的,局促不安的,拮據的 |