But I didn’t see him again.I didn’t see him until late next afternoon.
可是我沒有再見到他,直到第二天傍晚時分,我才又看到他。
I'd stopped the car at a sleepy little junction just across the border into Oklahoma to let a train pass by when he appeared across the tracks,he was leaning against a telephone pole.
我本來想把車停在進入俄克拉何馬州邊界,一處安靜的鐵路交叉路口,讓火車先通過,可是我又看到他,斜靠著一根電話桿。
It was a perfectly airless, dry day.
那是個相當窒悶、干燥的日子。
The red clay of Oklahoma was baking under the southwestern sun, yet there were spots of fresh rain on his shoulders.
西南方太陽把俄克拉何馬州的紅泥土地烤得快干了,但他肩膀上仍留下雨剛濺濕的點點痕跡。
I couldn’t stand there!
我不能站在這里!
Without thinking, blindly, I started the car across the tracks.
連想都沒想,我瞎了眼似的開動車子沖過鐵道。
He didn't even look up at me.
他甚至沒有抬頭看我。
He was staring at the ground.
眼睛睛盯著地面。
I stepped on the gas hard, veering the wheel sharply toward him.
我猛踩油門, 轉動方向盤朝他撞上去。
I could hear the train in the distance now, but I didn’t care.
我可以聽到那頭火車急馳而來的聲音,可是我已經管不了那么多!
Then, something went wrong with the car.
這時車子好像出了點毛病,卡住了。
The train was coming closer.
火車越駛越近。
I could hear its bell ringing and the cry of its whistle!
我聽見鈴聲響亮、汽笛尖叫的聲音!
Still he stood there.
可他依然站在那兒。
And now I knew that he was beckoning, beckoning me to my death.
這會兒我終于明白,他在召喚我,召喚我走向我的死亡。