Well, I was born with a rare visual condition called achromatopsia, which is total color blindness,so I've never seen color,and I don't know what color looks like,because I come from a grayscale world.
我出生在一個色彩極少的世界,世界只有明暗之分,這叫做全色盲所以我不知道什么是顏色,也不知道顏色是什么樣的,因為我來自一個灰色的國度。
To me, the sky is always gray,
對我來說,天空永遠是暗灰的,
flowers are always gray,
花兒也是暗灰的,
and television is still in black and white.
電視依然是黑白電視。
But, since the age of 21,
但是,當我21歲時,
instead of seeing color, I can hear color.
雖然看不見顏色,但我能聽見顏色。

In 2003, I started a project with computer scientist Adam Montandon,
在2003年,我開始了一項計劃,和一位叫Adam Montandon的計算機科學家合作,
and the result, with further collaborations with Peter Kese from Slovenia and Matias Lizana from Barcelona,
在其他人的合作幫助下,例如來自斯洛文尼亞的Peter Kese和來自巴塞羅那的Matias Lizana,
is this electronic eye.
我們的成果就是這個電子眼。
It's a color sensor that detects the color frequency in front of me — (Frequency sounds) —
它是一個色彩傳感器,它可以探測到我眼前顏色的頻率—(頻率的聲音)
and sends this frequency to a chip installed at the back of my head, and I hear the color in front of me through the bone, through bone conduction.
然后把這個頻率傳回植入我后腦里的一個芯片里,這樣通過骨頭傳導聲音我就能聽到我眼前的顏色了。
So, for example, if I have, like,
舉個例子吧,我拿出這個
This is the sound of purple.
這個就是紫色的聲音。
For example, this is the sound of grass.
又例如,這個是草地顏色的聲音。
This is red, like TED.
這個是紅色的,就像TED的顏色。
This is the sound of a dirty sock.
這個是臟襪子的聲音。
Which is like yellow, this one.
臟襪子是黃色的。
So I've been hearing color all the time for eight years,
所以,自2004年起,我已經持續聽了8年的顏色,
since 2004, so I find it completely normal now to hear color all the time.
現在這些持續不斷的聲音對我來說已經習以為常了。
At the start, though, I had to memorize the names you give for each color, so I had to memorize the notes,
一開始我不僅需要記住你們為不同色彩所命的名字我還要去記住這些調子,
but after some time, all this information became a perception.
不過過了一段時間,所有的這些信息,都變成了一種知覺。