Of course, she replied promptly.
當然能,她毫不猶豫地回答道。
But if He can do anything, He can lift the stone, I pointed out.
但是如果他是萬能的,他就能搬動那塊石頭呀,我提醒她。
Yeah, she said thoughtfully. Well, then I guess He can't make the stone.
是嘛!她若有所思地說,嗯,我想他造不出那樣的石頭。
But He can do anything, I reminded her.
但他是萬能的啊,我進一步提醒她。
She scratched her pretty, empty head. I'm all cofused, she admitted.
她用手抓了抓她那漂亮而又空虛的腦袋。我全搞糊涂了,她承認說。
Of course you are. Because when the premises of an argument contradict each other, there can be no argument.
你確實糊涂了。因為一種論點的各個前提相互問是矛盾的,這種論點就不能成立。
If there is an irresistible force, there can be no immovable object. If there is an immovable object, there can be no irresistible force. Get it?
如果有一種不可抗拒的力量.就不可能有一種不可移動的物體;如果有一種不可移動的物體,就不可能有一種不可抗拒的力量。懂嗎?
Tell me some more of this keen stuff, she said eagerly.
再給我講些這類新奇的玩意兒吧,她懇切地說。
I cousulted my watch. 1 think we'd better call it a night. I'll take you home now, and you go over all the things you've learned.
我看了看表,說:我想今晚就談到這里。我現在該送你回去了。你把所學的東西復習一遍。
We'll have another session tomorrow night.
我們明晚上再來上一課吧。
I deposited her at the girls' dormitory, where she assured me that she had had a perfectly terrif evening, and I went glumly to my room.
我把她送到了女生宿舍,在那里她向我保證說這個晚上她過得非常痛快。
Petey lay snoring in his bed, the raccoon coat huddled like a great hairy beast at his feet.
我悶悶不樂地回到了我的房間,皮蒂正鼾聲如雷地睡在床上。那件浣熊皮大衣像一頭多毛的野獸扒在他的腳邊。
For a moment I considered waking him and telling him that he could have his girl back.
我當時真想把他叫醒,告訴他可以把他的女朋友要回去。
It seemed clear that my project was doomed to failure. The girl simply had a logic-proof head.
看來我的計劃會要落空了。這姑娘對邏輯簡直是一點兒都不開竅。
But then I reconsidered. I had wasted one evening: I might as well waste another. Who knew?
但是我回過頭一想,既然已經浪費了一個晚上,不妨還是再花一個晚上看看。