While Ken cooks, I'm enjoying spending time with the family.
老譚做菜的時候 我跟這家人待在一起
I feel like I've come back home.
我有種回到家的感覺
I grew up in a small
我小時候
village with my grandparents in rural Taiwan,
跟爺爺奶奶一起住在臺灣的一個小村莊里
and then, when I was five,
后來 我5歲的時候
left with my parents for South Africa,
跟父母一起離開家去了南非
finally arriving in the UK when I was 11 years old.
11歲的時候 在英國定居了下來
When I was growing up at school,
念書的時候 我從來不為
I was never proud to be Chinese.
自己是中國人而自豪
All I wanted to do was be English,
一心只想做個英國人
and, why couldn't I be more like my English friends?
我想為什么我不能變得更像我的英國朋友一點呢
And I wanted to dye my hair blonde and,
我想要染成一頭金發
you know, be very Western.
然后做一個真正的西方人
You Should come and try some Xiao Chi.
真該來嘗嘗這邊的小吃
Over the years,
這么多年來
cooking has helped connect me to my Chinese roots,
是烹飪讓我沒有忘本
so it feels important to make something for Jenny's family that,
所以我想要為Jenny的家人做一道
for them, feels authentically Sichuanese.
連他們都覺得正宗的四川菜
Watching Jenny's aunt cook is really inspiring.
看Jenny的姑姑做菜特別帶感
She's making a boiled fish dish. Smells good.
她在做水煮魚 真香
Your aunt is a really masterful cook,
你姑姑做菜真厲害
-and she cooks in high heels, it's amazing.I know!
而且還踩著高跟,太神了,我懂的
It really is amazing!
真的很了不得
So now she's sprinkling on the chilli flakes.
她現在在魚片上灑辣椒
She's got some hot vegetable oil.
再澆上一層熱油
Wow!
哇
That looks wonderful.
看起來好棒啊
I've never done it like
我以前從沒這樣做過
that before - sprinkle a dish with chillies
在菜上撒上辣椒
and then just ladle hot sizzling oil on top.
再往上面澆上滾油
It's just beautiful. I'm learning so much, it's wonderful.
美極了 我學到不少東西 太棒了