So knowing that there was superficial data
既然公式配對,
that was being used to match me up with other people,
用的是膚淺信息
I decided instead to ask my own questions.
我決定,自己問問題
What was every single possible thing
我要找的,另一半
that I could think of that I was looking for in a mate?
需要具備,哪些條件呢?
So I started writing and writing and writing,
我開始寫,不停地寫
and at the end, I had amassed
到最后,
72 different data points.
我積攢了72個數據點
I wanted somebody was Jew...ish,
我想找,猶太人
so I was looking for somebody who had the same
找一個與我有,
background and thoughts on our culture,
共同文化背景和觀點的人
but wasn't going to force me to go to shul
但他又不會,強迫我
every Friday and Saturday.
每周五六去,猶太集會
I wanted somebody who worked hard,
我想找一個,勤奮的人
because work for me is extremely important,
因為我覺得,工作特別重要
but not too hard.
但不能,工作狂
For me, the hobbies that I have
對我來說,我的興趣
are really just new work projects that I've launched.
無非是我的,一些新項目
I also wanted somebody who not only wanted two children,
我還想找一個,打算生兩個小孩
but was going to have the same attitude toward parenting that I do,
而且在育兒方面和我,觀點一致的人
so somebody who was going to be totally okay
也就是說,他完全不介意
with forcing our child to start taking piano lessons at age three,
要孩子三歲學鋼琴
and also maybe computer science classes
可能還外加一些,電腦課
if we could wrangle it.
如果,條件允許的話
So things like that, but I also wanted somebody
除此之外,我還想找一個
who would go to far-flung, exotic places,
愿意,遠足異鄉的人
like Petra, Jordan.
一起去,約旦的彼得拉
I also wanted somebody who would weigh
還有,我希望他
20 pounds more than me at all times,
比我重20磅,不論時間
regardless of what I weighed.
也不論我當時,體重是多少
So I now have these 72 different data points,
有了這 72個數據點
which, to be fair, is a lot.
說實話,還真不少了
So what I did was, I went through
接下來著,我整理出
and I prioritized that list.
優先次序
I broke it into a top tier and a second tier of points,
分兩層,排列這些數據點
and I ranked everything starting at 100
然后從100
and going all the way down to 91,
排到91?
and listing things like I was looking for somebody who was really smart,
寫的有,我希望找一個,很聰明的人
who would challenge and stimulate me,
一個可以給我帶來,挑戰和刺激的人
and balancing that with a second tier
然后在第二層
and a second set of points.
放上,另外一組數據點
These things were also important to me
這些對我,同樣重要
but not necessarily deal-breakers.
但不是,必不可少
So once I had all this done,
列表完畢,之后
I then built a scoring system,
我開始,建立計分系統
because what I wanted to do
我想嘗試,
was to sort of mathematically calculate
借助數學計算出
whether or not I thought the guy that I found online
我和網站人選,
would be a match with me.
是否匹配
I figured there would be a minimum of 700 points
我想,對方至少要達到700分
before I would agree to email somebody
才給他,發電子郵件
or respond to an email message.
或者,回信
For 900 points, I'd agree to go out on a date,
達到900分,才答應約會
and I wouldn't even consider any kind of relationship
我不會輕易,投入感情
before somebody had crossed the 1,500 point threshold.
除非對方,超過1500分才可以考慮
Well, as it turns out, this worked pretty well.
這個方法,還挺有效的
So I go back online now.
我回到,婚戀網
I found Jewishdoc57
發現了 Jewishdoc57
who's incredibly good-looking, incredibly well-spoken,
他出奇地帥,而且談吐出眾
he had hiked Mt. Fuji,
曾經登上,富士山
he had walked along the Great Wall.
徒步長城
He likes to travel as long as it doesn't involve a cruise ship.
而且他喜歡旅行,只要沒有游船就好
And I thought, I've done it!
我想,我成功了!
I've cracked the code.
編碼已被破解
I have just found the Jewish Prince Charming
我終于發現了,猶太白馬王子
of my family's dreams.
正如,家人所愿
There was only one problem:
問題,只有一個
He didn't like me back.
他,并不喜歡我
And I guess the one variable that I haven't considered
看來有一個變數,我還沒考慮
is the competition.
那就是,競爭對手
Who are all of the other women
社交網站,
on these dating sites?
都有哪些,其他的女性?
I found SmileyGirl1978.
我發現了 SmileyGirl1978
She said she was a "fun girl who is Happy and Outgoing."
她說她是 "快樂、活潑、有趣的女孩"
She listed her job as teacher.
她填寫的職業是,教師
She said she is "silly, nice and friendly."
她說她 "很傻,很友善“
She likes to make people laugh "alot."
“常常”愛逗大家笑
At this moment I knew, clicking after profile
就在那一刻,在點擊完一個又一個
after profile after profile that looked like this,
類似的個人檔案之后
that I needed to do some market research.
我知道還需要,市場調研
So I created 10 fake male profiles.
接著我建立了 10個虛擬的,男士檔案
Now, before I lose all of you --
在人都,走光之前
understand that I did this
我想請大家,諒解我的初衷
strictly to gather data
僅僅是,收集數據
about everybody else in the system.
去了解系統內的,其他人
I didn't carry on crazy Catfish-style relationships with anybody.
我并沒有,借此進行任何不道德的交流
I really was just scraping their data.
確實只是,收集數據
But I didn't want everybody's data.
還不是,所有人的數據
I only wanted data on the women
僅限女性,那些
who were going to be attracted
我的理想伴侶,
to the type of man that I really, really wanted to marry.
可能會喜歡的女性
When I released these men into the wild,
我把虛擬男士,放出來之后
I did follow some rules.
還遵守了,一些規矩
So I didn't reach out to any woman first.
首先我沒有,主動聯系女性
I just waited to see who these profiles were going to attract,
只等著看,能吸引到誰
and mainly what I was looking at was two different data sets.
主要關注點,有兩方面
So I was looking at qualitative data,
首先是,定性數據
so what was the humor, the tone,
比如,幽默感,語調
the voice, the communication style
聲音,溝通方式
that these women shared in common?
這些女性,的共通點是什么?
And also quantitative data,
還有,定量數據
so what was the average length of their profile,
比如,個人檔案的平均長度
how much time was spent between messages?
兩次通信之間,隔多久
What I was trying to get at here was
我想證明的是
that I figured in person,
如果有機會,面對面交流
I would be just as competitive
我的競爭力
as a SmileyGirl1978.
不比SmileyGirl1978差
I wanted to figure out how to maximize
所以,我想知道怎么調整,網上檔案
my own profile online.
才能最好地,呈現自己