So I just copied and pasted from my resume.
所以我直接把簡歷,復制粘貼上去
So in the descriptive part up top,
上面,描述部分
I said that I was an award-winning journalist
我說我是,獲獎記者
and a future thinker.
和未來思考者
When I was asked about fun activities and
讓我描述興趣愛好和理想人選
my ideal date, I said monetization
我填了,賺錢
and fluency in Japanese.
和日語流利
I talked a lot about JavaScript.
還寫了很多關于,網頁編碼的內容
So obviously this was not the best way
這一步,
to put my most sexy foot forward.
走得確實不太優雅
But the real failure was that
最根本的問題是
there were plenty of men for me to date.
還是有很多男士,和我約會
These algorithms had a sea full of men
配對公式,為我找到一大批男士
that wanted to take me out on lots of dates --
他們不斷約我--
what turned out to be truly awful dates.
可結果卻特別糟糕
There was this guy Steve, the I.T. guy.
其中有一位,叫史蒂夫的技術男
The algorithm matched us up
配對公式,發現我們都對小玩意著迷
because we share a love of gadgets,
配對公式,發現我們都對小玩意著迷
we share a love of math and data and '80s music,
我們是數學迷,數據迷,還是80年代歌迷
and so I agreed to go out with him.
我同意見他
So Steve the I.T. guy invited me out
然后這位技術男,帶我到
to one of Philadelphia's white-table-cloth,
費城一家,
extremely expensive restaurants.
特別高消費的西餐廳
And we went in, and right off the bat,
剛到,我們就發現
our conversation really wasn't taking flight,
談得,不太有意思
but he was ordering a lot of food.
但他,點了很多吃的
In fact, he didn't even bother looking at the menu.
他餐牌都,不用看
He was ordering multiple appetizers,
就點了幾份,開胃菜
multiple entres, for me as well,
幾份主食,還幫我點了
and suddenly there are piles and piles of food on our table,
忽然間,桌上堆滿了大盤小盤吃的
also lots and lots of bottles of wine.
還有,很多很多瓶酒
So we're nearing the end of our conversation
在我們,談得差不多
and the end of dinner, and I've decided
晚餐也,接近尾聲的時候
Steve the I.T. guy and I are really just not meant for each other,
我確信和技術男,并非天生一對
but we'll part ways as friends,
但再見,還可以是朋友
when he gets up to go to the bathroom,
他去趟,洗手間
and in the meantime the bill comes to our table.
帳單也來了
And listen, I'm a modern woman.
看,我是現代女性
I am totally down with splitting the bill.
平分帳單完全沒問題
But then Steve the I.T. guy didn't come back.
但,技術男卻沒回來
And that was my entire month's rent.
而那是我,整整一個月的房租
So needless to say, I was not having a good night.
不用說,我那天晚上很不好受
So I run home, I call my mother, I call my sister,
跑回家之后,我打電話找媽媽,找姐姐
and as I do, at the end of each one of these
每一次經歷這些,糟糕至極的約會之后
terrible, terrible dates,
我都會,打給她們
I regale them with the details.
我披露,每一個細節
And they say to me,
之后,她們對我說
"Stop complaining."
“別抱怨了”
"You're just being too picky."
“你就是太挑”
So I said, fine, from here on out
我說,好吧,那以后
I'm only going on dates where I know
我只去,有無線網絡的地方約會
that there's wi-fi, and I'm bringing my laptop.
要帶上,手提電腦
I'm going to shove it into my bag,
把它,塞到袋子里
and I'm going to have this email template,
然后做一個,郵件模版
and I'm going to fill it out and collect information
把收集到的信息,填進去
on all these different data points during the date
一邊約會,一邊填
to prove to everybody that empirically,
用客觀事實,向大家證實
these dates really are terrible.
這些約會,究竟有多糟糕
So I started tracking things like
我開始,記錄那些
really stupid, awkward, sexual remarks;
無聊又尷尬的,性暗示語言
bad vocabulary;
不適當的用詞
the number of times a man forced me to high-five him.
還有對方,逼我與他擊掌的次數
So I started to crunch some numbers,
然后我開始,統計這些數據
and that allowed me to make some correlations.
并且找到,一些關聯
So as it turns out,
我發現
for some reason, men who drink Scotch
不知為什么,喝蘇格蘭威士忌的男性
reference kinky sex immediately.
立馬聯想到,性怪癖
Well, it turns out that these
當然,不是說
probably weren't bad guys.
他們不好
There were just bad for me.
只是,不適合我
And as it happens, the algorithms that were setting us up,
同樣,把我們湊到一起的,配對公式
they weren't bad either.
也不差
These algorithms were doing exactly
它們按預先設計好的,
what they were designed to do,
正常運行
which was to take our user-generated information,
用提取到的,用戶信息
in my case, my resume,
比如,我的簡歷
and match it up with other people's information.
再和其他人的信息,配對
See, the real problem here is that,
可見,真正的問題是
while the algorithms work just fine,
雖然公式會按部就班
you and I don't, when confronted
我們卻沒有
with blank windows where we're supposed
當我們面對,空白欄
to input our information online.
填寫,個人信息的地方
Very few of us have the ability
沒有多少人
to be totally and brutally honest with ourselves.
可以赤裸裸地,描述完全真實的自己
The other problem is that these websites are asking us
另一個問題是,網站總愛問
questions like, are you a dog person or a cat person?
你喜歡貓還是喜歡狗?
Do you like horror films or romance films?
愛看驚悚片還是愛情片?之類的問題
I'm not looking for a pen pal.
我又不是來找筆友
I'm looking for a husband. Right?
我在找丈夫,對吧?
So there's a certain amount of superficiality in that data.
而這些數據,比較膚淺
So I said fine, I've got a new plan.
所以,我有個新計劃
I'm going to keep using these online dating sites,
繼續上,婚戀網
but I'm going to treat them as databases,
但只把它們當作,資料庫
and rather than waiting for an algorithm to set me up,
而不是繼續,被動地等公式配對
I think I'm going to try reverse-engineering this entire system.
我要把整個系統反過來,重新定義