奧斯卡:你回來啦,你母親的生日晚宴怎么樣?
Priscilla:Same old, same old.
普瑞斯莉亞:老樣子,還是老樣子。
It isn't a family gathering without a major meltdown or blowup.
不爭吵怎么能叫家庭聚會呢。
Oscar:Yikes, what happened?
奧斯卡:?。堪l生什么事了?
Priscilla:You know how it is.
普瑞斯莉亞:你應該清楚啊。
It starts out with bickering and somebody taking offense at some slight or dig, or bringing up some old grievance.
最開始是拌嘴,而后有人為了一點雞毛蒜皮小事冷嘲熱諷,或提起一些老掉牙的恩怨。
Oscar:Well, that happens in most families.
奧斯卡:大多數家庭都會這樣。
Priscilla:Yeah, but in mine, they often turn into screaming matches.
普瑞斯莉亞:但到我們這里就經常變成比誰嗓門大。
We all raise our voices and somebody always storms out.
我們都會提高嗓門,然后有人會憤憤離開。
Oscar:Even at your mother's birthday dinner?
奧斯卡:你母親的生日晚宴上也是這樣?
Priscilla:The occasion doesn't matter.
普瑞斯莉亞:這跟場合沒關系。
My mother tries to be the peacemaker, but it doesn't take much for tempers to flare.
我老母親想做和事佬,但她很快也開始動氣。
Oscar:That never happens in my family.
奧斯卡:我們家就從來不這樣。
Priscilla:What?! Your family doesn't fight when it gets together?
普瑞斯莉亞:什么?你的家庭聚會上沒有吵架嗎?
Oscar:No, we try to sweep things under the rug and put on a brave face.
奧斯卡:沒有啊。我們盡量去忘掉那些不愉快的事情,然后裝作若無其事。
Priscilla:What happens when you get mad at each other?
普瑞斯莉亞:那你們生彼此的氣怎么辦?
Oscar:Nothing.
奧斯卡:什么也沒有啊。
Priscilla:What do you mean nothing?
普瑞斯莉亞:“什么也沒有”是什么意思?
Oscar:A lot of our family meals are eaten in stony silence.
奧斯卡:我們在家庭聚餐時都是在冷冰冰的吃飯沉寂中度過的。
Priscilla:Wow, I think I prefer our knock-down, drag-out fights!
普瑞斯莉亞:哇,我還是更喜歡我們這種亂戰或拉鋸戰!