We found activity in a tiny, little factory near the base of the brain
我們發現在大腦底部附近有一塊活躍的微小的區域
called the ventral tegmental area.
腹側背蓋區。
We found activity in some cells called the A10 cells,
其中活躍的細胞稱為ApEn細胞。
cells that actually make dopamine, a natural stimulant,
實際上,這種細胞制造了多巴胺——一種天然的興奮劑,
and spray it to many brain regions.
并將它散發到大腦的眾多區域。
Indeed, this part, the VTA, is part of the brain's reward system.
準確地說來,這里腹側背蓋區是大腦獎勵系統的一部分。
It's way below your cognitive thinking process.
它運作在潛意識中,
It's below your emotions.
也不受情緒控制。
It's part of what we call the reptilian core of the brain,
腹側背蓋區也是被我們稱作爬蟲類腦核的部分。
associated with wanting, with motivation,
它關系到欲求、動機、
with focus and with craving.
專注和渴望。
In fact, the same brain region where we found activity
事實上,這一片區域
becomes active also when you feel the rush of cocaine.
在可卡因癮發作時也會活躍起來。
But romantic love is much more than a cocaine high --
但比起可卡因,愛情讓它更加活躍——
at least you come down from cocaine.
至少你還能從可卡因中回過神來。
Romantic love is an obsession. It possesses you.
愛情縈繞于心,占據著你。
You lose your sense of self.
你失去自我意識,
You can't stop thinking about another human being.
不能自主地去想他
Somebody is camping in your head.
他一直盤踞在你腦中。
As an eighth-century Japanese poet said,
就如8世紀的一位日本詩人所說,
"My longing had no time when it ceases."
“我的渴求永不停止?!?/div>
?
Wild is love.
愛情是狂熱的。
And the obsession can get worse when you've been rejected.
當你被拋棄之后,牽掛會更深。
So, right now, Lucy Brown and I, the neuroscientist on our project,
我和項目組中的神經系統學家露西·布朗
are looking at the data of the people
當下正在研究
who were put into the machine after they had just been dumped.
被拋棄的人們的核磁共振測試數據。
It was very difficult actually,
但說服他們
putting these people in the machine,
進行測驗實在是困難,
because they were in such bad shape.
因為他們心情實在是太糟了。
So anyway, we found activity in three brain regions.
總之,我們在大腦中發現了三個與之有關的區域。
We found activity in the brain region,
我們在那塊大腦區域,
in exactly the same brain region
也就是腹側背蓋區,
associated with intense romantic love.
找到了與熱戀相關的大腦活動。
What a bad deal.
這是多么壞的事情??!
You know, when you've been dumped,
當你被甩之后,
the one thing you love to do is just forget about this human being,
你會想著要忘掉他,
and then go on with your life --
并繼續你的正常生活,
but no, you just love them harder.
但事與愿違,你只會更愛他了。
As the poet Terence, the Roman poet once said,
就像羅馬詩人特倫斯曾說過的:
he said, "The less my hope, the hotter my love."
“我的祈求越少,我的愛情便越熾烈?!?/div>
And indeed, we now know why.
時至今日,我們知道這是為什么了。
Two thousand years later, we can explain this in the brain.
2000年后的今天,我們能夠解釋大腦中的這一過程。
That brain system -- the reward system
大腦中的獎賞系統
for wanting, for motivation, for craving, for focus --
與欲望、動機、渴望和專注有關,
becomes more active when you can't get what you want.
它在你不能得到你所要的時,反而變得更加活躍。
In this case, life's greatest prize:
倘若如此,生命中最大的獎賞即是:
an appropriate mating partner.
一個適當的約會對象。
We found activity in other brain regions also --
我們發現大腦中
in a brain region associated with calculating gains and losses.
計算得失的區域也與愛情有關。
You know, you're lying there, you're looking at the picture,
測試者躺在核磁共振儀中,
and you're in this machine,
看著昔日愛人的照片,
and you're calculating, you know, what went wrong.
然后開始回想到底是什么出錯了。
How, you know, what have I lost?
我失去了什么?
As a matter of fact, Lucy and I have a little joke about this.
事實上,露西和我對此開過一些玩笑。
It comes from a David Mamet play,
在大衛·梅米特的一部劇中,
and there's two con artists in the play,
有兩個行騙高手,
and the woman is conning the man,
其中女士在勾引男士,
and the man looks at the woman and says,
于是他看著那位女士說:
"Oh, you're a bad pony, I'm not going to bet on you."
“你真調皮,我是不會犯錯的?!?/div>
And indeed, it's this part of the brain,
當你在計算得失時,
the core of the nucleus accumbens, actually, that is becoming active
大腦中的這部分——伏隔核的核心
as you're measuring your gains and losses.
變得活躍起來。
It's also the brain region that becomes active
當你要因為得到或失去
when you're willing to take enormous risks
而去冒巨大的風險時,
for huge gains and huge losses.
它也會變得活躍。
Last but not least, we found activity in a brain region
最后,我們還在一塊區域中
associated with deep attachment to another individual.
發現了與深度依戀有關的大腦活動。
No wonder people suffer around the world,
難怪世界各地的人們都遭受著痛苦,
and we have so many crimes of passion.
難怪我們中這么多人被負心的情人傷害
When you've been rejected in love,
當你被愛拋棄時,
not only are you engulfed with feelings of romantic love,
你不僅被對愛情的渴望吞沒,
but you're feeling deep attachment to this individual.
而且感到對他深深的依戀。
Moreover, this brain circuit for reward is working,
此外,大腦的獎賞回路開始工作,
and you're feeling intense energy, intense focus,
這使得你感到強烈的精力,強烈的專注,
intense motivation and the willingness to risk it all
強烈的干勁,和想要不顧一切地
to win life's greatest prize.
贏得生命中最高獎賞的愿望。
So, what have I learned from this experiment
那么,關于這次實驗,
that I would like to tell the world?
我又有什么樣的體會要分享給全世界呢?
Foremost, I have come to think
最重要的一點,我的結論是
that romantic love is a drive, a basic mating drive.
愛情是人類最基本的尋求配對的沖動。
Not the sex drive -- the sex drive gets you out there,
這不是性沖動——性沖動讓你尋找
looking for a whole range of partners.
能夠成為性伴侶的人。
Romantic love enables you to focus your mating energy
而愛情讓你同時只對一個人產生配對的沖動,
on just one at a time, conserve your mating energy,
并節制地使用它,
and start the mating process with this single individual.
開始同他戀愛。
I think of all the poetry that I've read about romantic love,
我腦海中浮現出讀過的所有關于愛情的詩篇,
what sums it up best is something that is said by Plato,
其中最適合概括這一點的是
over 2,000 years ago.
2000多年前的詩人柏拉圖的一首詩,
He said, "The god of love lives in a state of need.
“愛神棲于愛欲之國。
It is a need. It is an urge.
愛是欲求,是沖動,
It is a homeostatic imbalance.
是恒久的失衡。
Like hunger and thirst, it's almost impossible to stamp out."
如饑似渴,不能熄滅?!?/div>
I've also come to believe that romantic love is an addiction:
我同樣也相信愛情讓人成癮:
a perfectly wonderful addiction when it's going well,
愛若甜蜜,人們沉溺其中;
and a perfectly horrible addiction when it's going poorly.
愛若苦澀,人們深陷其中,難以自拔。
And indeed, it has all of the characteristics of addiction.
確然,愛情擁有成癮的所有特征,
You focus on the person, you obsessively think about them,
你專注于他,執念于他,
you crave them, you distort reality,
渴望得到他,并扭曲現實,
your willingness to take enormous risks to win this person.
愿不顧一切以贏得他的愛。
And it's got the three main characteristics of addiction:
成癮的三個主要特征也在愛情上得以體現:
tolerance, you need to see them more, and more, and more;
首先是耐受性——你總是想要得到更多以維持最初的感覺,
withdrawals; and last, relapse.
而后耐受性消退,最后又復發。
I've got a girlfriend who's just getting over a terrible love affair.
我的一位女朋友剛從一段痛苦的戀情中恢復過來,
It's been about eight months, she's beginning to feel better.
經過了八個月,她終于好多了。
And she was driving along in her car the other day,
這之后的一天,她正開著車,
and suddenly she heard a song on the car radio
收音機里的一首歌
that reminded her of this man.
讓她又想起了那個男人。
And she -- not only did the instant craving come back,
于是,瞬時的渴望充滿全身,
but she had to pull over
她控制不住情緒,把車停在路邊,
from the side of the road and cry.
大哭了一場。
So, one thing I would like the medical community,
因此,我希望醫學界、
and the legal community, and even the college community,
法學界和高教界
to see if they can understand, that indeed,
都關注到上述這一點:
romantic love is one of the most addictive substances on Earth.
愛情確實是世界上最讓人成癮的東西。
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
relapse | [ri'læps] |
想一想再看 n. 復舊,故態復萌,再發 v. 故態復萌,再陷邪道,再 |
聯想記憶 | |
ruler | ['ru:lə] |
想一想再看 n. 尺子,劃線板 |
||
pandemonium | [pændi'məʊniəm] |
想一想再看 n. 混戰場,喧嘩吵鬧 |
聯想記憶 | |
imbalance | [im'bæləns] |
想一想再看 n. 不平衡,失調 |
||
addiction | [ə'dikʃən] |
想一想再看 n. 沉溺,上癮 |
||
appropriate | [ə'prəupriət] |
想一想再看 adj. 適當的,相稱的 |
聯想記憶 | |
crave | [kreiv] |
想一想再看 v. 渴望,熱望,懇求 |
聯想記憶 | |
attachment | [ə'tætʃmənt] |
想一想再看 n. 附件,附著,附屬物,依戀,忠誠,依賴 |
||
partner | ['pɑ:tnə] |
想一想再看 n. 搭檔,伙伴,合伙人 |
聯想記憶 | |
wasteland | ['weistlænd] |
想一想再看 n. 荒地,未開墾地 |

- 閱讀本文的人還閱讀了: