Astonishingly, they were able to get the job done in four days, and Wozniak used only forty- five chips.
令人驚訝的是,他們真的在4天時間里完成了任務,而且沃茲只用了45塊芯片。
Recollections differ, but by most accounts Jobs simply gave Wozniak half of the base fee and not the bonus Bushnell paid for saving five chips.
雖然后來對此事的描述有多個版本,但在多數版本中,喬布斯只給了沃茲基本酬金的一半,而節省5枚芯片得到的獎金被他獨吞了。
It would be another ten years before Wozniak discovered (by being shown the tale in a book on the history of Atari titled Zap) that Jobs had been paid this bonus.
直到10年以后,沃茲尼亞克才知道喬布斯得到獎金的事情(他看到了一本講述雅達利公司歷史的書《咔嚓》中的故事)。
"I think that Steve needed the money, and he just didn't tell me the truth," Wozniak later said.
“我想史蒂夫需要那筆錢,他只是沒有告訴我事實而已。”沃茲如今這樣說道。
When he talks about it now, there are long pauses, and he admits that it causes him pain.
當他說起這件事的時候,停頓了很長時間,他也承認這事讓他很痛苦。
"I wish he had just been honest.
“我希望他當時能對我實話實說。
If he had told me he needed the money, he should have known I would have just given it to him.
如果他告訴我他需要那筆錢,他應該知道我肯定會把錢給他的。
He was a friend. You help your friends."
他是我的朋友,幫助朋友是天經地義的事情。”
To Wozniak, it showed a fundamental difference in their characters.
對沃茲尼亞克來說,這件事展現了他們兩人性格上的差異。
"Ethics always mattered to me, and I still don't understand why he would've gotten paid one thing and told me he'd gotten paid another," he said.
“對我來說道德總是很重要的,我直到現在都不明白,他明明收到了那筆獎金卻告訴我他沒有拿到,”他說,
"But, you know, people are different."
“但你也知道,每個人都是不同的。”
When Jobs learned this story was published, he called Wozniak to deny it.
10年之后,這個故事被報道了出來,喬布斯給沃茲尼亞克打電話否認。
"He told me that he didn't remember doing it, and that if he did something like that he would remember it,
“他告訴我他不記得做過這事,如果他做過這種事的話他應該會記得,
so he probably didn't do it," Wozniak recalled.
所以他應該沒有做過。”沃茲回憶。
When I asked Jobs directly, he became unusually quiet and hesitant.
當我直接詢問喬布斯的時候,他很反常地變得很安靜,很遲疑。
"I don't know where that allegation comes from," he said.
“我不知道那些傳言都是從哪兒冒出來的,”他說,
"I gave him half the money I ever got. That's how I've always been with Woz.
“我拿到的錢,分了一半給他。我跟沃茲之間一直都是這樣的。
I mean, Woz stopped working in 1978.
沃茲1978年起就不再工作了,
He never did one ounce of work after 1978.
1978年之后他就再沒做過任何工作。
And yet he got exactly the same shares of Apple stock that I did."
但他在蘋果的股份還是和我一樣多。”
Is it possible that memories are muddled and that Jobs did not, in fact, shortchange Wozniak?
會不會眾人的記憶都混亂了,喬布斯事實上真的沒有少付沃茲錢呢?
"There's a chance that my memory is all wrong and messed up,"
“有這樣的可能,我的記憶全是錯的、混亂的。”
Wozniak told me, but after a pause he reconsidered.
沃茲告訴我,但停頓了一會兒之后改口了,
"But no. I remember the details of this one, the $350 check."
“但不是這樣的,我記得這件事的細節,那張350美元的支票。”
He confirmed his memory with Nolan Bushnell and Al Alcorn.
他和諾蘭·布什內爾以及阿爾·奧爾康都進行了復核。
"I remember talking about the bonus money to Woz, and he was upset," Bushnell said.
“我記得我跟沃茲談論獎金的時候,他很不高興,”布什內爾說,
"I said yes, there was a bonus for each chip they saved, and he just shook his head and then clucked his tongue."
“我說是的,你們每省下一枚芯片都會得到一筆獎金,然后他就搖了搖頭,咂了哩嘴。”
Whatever the truth, Wozniak later insisted that it was not worth rehashing.
不管事情真相到底如何,沃茲都堅持說,這件事情不值得再討論了。
Jobs is a complex person, he said, and being manipulative is just the darker facet of the traits that make him successful.
他說,喬布斯是個復雜的人,善于耍手段只是展現了那些助他成功的諸多特性中的陰暗面。
Wozniak would never have been that way, but as he points out, he also could never have built Apple.
沃茲尼亞克永遠不會那樣,伹正如他所說,他也永遠創建不了蘋果公司。
"I would rather let it pass," he said when I pressed the point.
“我寧愿讓這件事就這么過去了當我再三提起這件事時,他如此回答我,
"It's not something I want to judge Steve by."
“我不想因為這件事就評判史蒂夫。”
The Atari experience helped shape Jobs's approach to business and design.
雅達利的這段經歷幫助喬布斯完成了他走上商業和設計道路的入門課。
He appreciated the user-friendliness of Atari's insert-quarter-avoid-Klingons games.
他非常欣賞雅達利“投入硬幣--躲開克林貢人”這樣的游戲筒潔性和用戶友好性。
"That simplicity rubbed off on him and made him a very focused product person," said Ron Wayne.
“那種簡潔性影響到了他,讓他成為了一個十分注重產品的人。”羅恩·韋恩如是說。
Jobs also absorbed some of Bushnell's take-no-prisoners attitude.
喬布斯還吸收了諾蘭·布什內爾那股強勢的態度。
"Nolan wouldn't take no for an answer," according to Alcorn,
“諾蘭是不允許別人對他說不的,”奧爾康說,
"and this was Steve's first impression of how things got done.
“史蒂夫最初以為這樣才能做成事情。
Nolan was never abusive, like Steve sometimes is.
諾蘭從不會謾罵別人,史蒂夫有時候會。
But he had the same driven attitude.
但他有同樣積極的態度。
It made me cringe, but dammit, it got things done. In that way Nolan was a mentor for Jobs." Bushnell agreed.
這種態度讓我懼怕,但它確實能辦成事情。在這一方面,諾蘭稱得上是喬布斯的導師。”布什內爾也同意這一說法。
"There is something indefinable in an entrepreneur, and I saw that in Steve," he said.
“企業家身上有一種很難描述的氣質,我在喬布斯身上看到了那種氣質,”他說,
"He was interested not just in engineering, but also the business aspects.
“他感興趣的不僅僅是工程,還包括商業方面的一些東西。
I taught him that if you act like you can do something, then it will work.
我教他,如果你表現得好像你能做某件事,那就能起到作用。
I told him,'Pretend to be completely in control and people will assume that you are.'"
我告訴他,裝得好像你掌控了一切,別人就會以為你真的掌控了一切