Lang and others wanted to let Jobs go, but Bushnell worked out a solution.
朗和其他人想趕走喬布斯,但布什內爾想出了一個解決方案。
"The smell and behavior wasn't an issue with me," he said. "Steve was prickly, but I kind of liked him.
“他的體味和行為舉止對我來說并不是問題,”他說,“史蒂夫是很麻煩,但我挺喜歡他。
So I asked him to go on the night shift. It was a way to save him."
所以我讓他上夜班。這樣就可以把他留下了。”
Jobs would come in after Lang and others had left and work through most of the night.
喬布斯會在朗和其他人下班之后過來上班,工作一整晚。
Even thus isolated, he became known for his brashness.
即便已經隔絕到如此地步,他還是因為自己的魯莽無禮出了名。
On those occasions when he happened to interact with others, he was prone to informing them that they were "dumb shits."
在一些碰巧跟人交流的場合,他會肆無忌憚地稱別人為“蠢貨”。
In retrospect, he stands by that judgment. "The only reason I shone was that everyone else was so bad," Jobs recalled.
現在回想起來,他依然堅持自己的評判。“我那么耀眼的唯一原因就是,其他人都太糟糕了。”喬布斯回憶說。
Despite his arrogance (or perhaps because of it) he was able to charm Atari's boss.
盡管他很傲慢---或者正是因為他的傲慢---他獲得了雅達利公司老板的青睞。
"He was more philosophical than the other people I worked with," Bushnell recalled.
“他比其他與我共事過的人更加有哲學氣質,”布什內爾回憶道,
"We used to discuss free will versus determinism. I tended to believe that things were much more determined, that we were programmed.
“我們曾經討論過自由意志和宿命論的比較。我傾向于認為事情都是命中注定的,我們的人生都是被規劃好的。
If we had perfect information, we could predict people's actions. Steve felt the opposite."
如果有足夠的信息的話,我們可以預知一個人的行動。史蒂夫的觀點與我正相反。”
That outlook accorded with his faith in the power of the will to bend reality.
這一觀點與他“意志的力量可以改變現實”的信念是一致的。
Jobs helped improve some of the games by pushing the chips to produce fun designs,
他通過改進芯片,作出了更有趣的設計和更人性化的人機交互,進而完善了公司的一些游戲。
and Bushnell's inspiring willingness to play by his own rules rubbed off on him.
布什內爾夸大事實的本事以及按自己規則辦事的意愿影響了喬布斯。
In addition, he intuitively appreciated the simplicity of Atari's games.
除此之外,喬布斯還很欣賞雅達利開發的游戲的簡單性。
They came with no manual and needed to be uncomplicated enough that a stoned freshman could figure them out.
游戲沒有使用手冊,簡單到即便是一個喝醉酒的初學者也能很快上手。
The only instructions for Atari's Star Trek game were "1. Insert quarter. 2. Avoid Klingons."
雅達利的《星際迷航》游戲僅有的說明就是:“1.投入硬幣;2.躲開克林貢人。
Not all of his coworkers shunned Jobs.
并不是所有同事都討厭喬布斯。
He became friends with Ron Wayne, a draftsman at Atari, who had earlier started a company that built slot machines.
他與一個叫做羅恩·韋恩(Rem Wayne)的繪圖員成了朋友,此人之前經營著自己的公司,生產老虎機,
It subsequently failed, but Jobs became fascinated with the idea that it was possible to start your own company.
但之后生意失敗了。然而喬布斯覺得開一家自己的公司這主意很吸引人。
"Ron was an amazing guy," said Jobs. "He started companies. I had never met anybody like that."
“羅恩是個很了不起的人喬布斯說,“他開過公司。我從沒有遇到過他這樣的人。”
He proposed to Wayne that they go into business together; Jobs said he could borrow $50,000, and they could design and market a slot machine.
喬布斯向羅恩·韋恩提議兩人一起做生意;他說自己可以借來50000美元,然后他們可以設計并銷售老虎機。
But Wayne had already been burned in business, so he declined.
但是韋恩曾經在生意場上吃過苦頭,所以拒絕了。
"I said that was the quickest way to lose $50,000," Wayne recalled,
“我說那是損失50000美元最快的方法,”韋恩回憶說,
"but I admired the fact that he had a burning drive to start his own business."
“但我很佩服他,他有很迫切的欲望去開始自己的事業。”
One weekend Jobs was visiting Wayne at his apartment, engaging as they often did in philosophical discussions,
一個周末,喬布斯到韋恩的公寓拜訪,像往常一樣討論哲學問題。
when Wayne said that there was something he needed to tell him.
這時韋恩說有些事情要吿訴喬布斯。
"Yeah, I think I know what it is," Jobs replied.
“我想我知道你要說什么,”喬布斯回答,
"I think you like men." Wayne said yes.
“我覺得你喜歡男人。”韋恩承認了。
"It was my first encounter with someone who I knew was gay," Jobs recalled.
“那是我第一次遇到熟人中有同性戀,”喬布斯回憶,
"He planted the right perspective of it for me." Jobs grilled him: "When you see a beautiful woman, what do you feel?"
“他給我灌輸了關于同性戀的正確觀點。”喬布斯追問他:“你看到一個漂亮的女人會有什么感覺?”
Wayne replied, "It's like when you look at a beautiful horse.
韋恩答道:“就好像你看到一匹漂亮的馬,
You can appreciate it, but you don't want to sleep with it. You appreciate beauty for what it is."
你欣賞它,但你不想和它上床。你只是純粹欣賞它的美。”
Wayne said that it is a testament to Jobs that he felt like revealing this to him.
韋恩說自己就是想把這個告訴喬布斯。
"Nobody at Atari knew, and I could count on my toes and fingers the number of people I told in my whole life.
“雅達利公司沒人知道,在我的一生中知道這件事的人也屈指可數,”韋恩說,
But I guess it just felt right to tell him, that he would understand, and it didn't have any effect on our relationship."
“但我覺得告訴他沒有任何問題,他會理解的,而且這也不會影響到我們的關系。”