So we humans have an extraordinary potential for goodness,but also an immense power to do harm.
人類為善的潛力沒有盡頭,但為惡的能力也不可小覷。
Any tool can be used to build or to destroy.
任何工具,在人類手里都可用于行善, 也都可用于作惡。
That all depends on our motivation.
這完全取決于我們內心的動機。
Therefore, it is all the more important to foster an altruistic motivation rather than a selfish one.
因此,心懷利他精神,而不是自私的念頭,比什么都重要。
So now we indeed are facing many challenges in our times.
當今世界我們確實面臨著太多挑戰。
Those could be personal challenges.
其中有我們自身的挑戰,
Our own mind can be our best friend or our worst enemy.
我們的思想可以是我們最善良的朋友, 也可以是最危險的敵人;
There's also societal challenges:
也有社會層面的挑戰:
poverty in the midst of plenty, inequalities, conflict, injustice.
貧富分布不均、不平等、戰亂、不公平;
And then there are the new challenges, which we don't expect.
還有很多尚未料到的新的挑戰。
Ten thousand years ago, there were about five million human beings on Earth.
一萬年前,地球上只有大概五百萬人。
Whatever they could do,
無論那時的人做了什么,
the Earth's resilience would soon heal human activities.
地球的恢復力都會讓人類的影響消于無形。
After the Industrial and Technological Revolutions,that's not the same anymore.
自工業技術革命開始以來,這種情況就不復存在了。
We are now the major agent of impact on our Earth.
人類成為了破壞地球最主要的因素。
We enter the Anthropocene, the era of human beings.
我們迎來了人類紀,即人類的紀元。
So in a way, if we were to say we need to continue this endless growth,endless use of material resources,
從某種角度來看, 如果我們持續這種無節制的發展,持續不斷地消耗資源,
it's like if this man was saying and I heard a former head of state, I won't mention who, saying Five years ago, we were at the edge of the precipice.
我們就會像這位,我從一位前國家元首那聽來的, 我不會說是誰—說的這樣,五年前,我們站在懸崖邊,
Today we made a big step forward.
今天我們又跨出了一大步。
So this edge is the same that has been defined by scientists as the planetary boundaries.
這個懸崖邊,就是科學家們定義的地球限度。
And within those boundaries, they can carry a number of factors.
在限度以內—這個限度是由多種因素決定的—
We can still prosper, humanity can still prosper for 150,000 years if we keep the same stability of climate as in the Holocene for the last 10,000 years.
我們仍然可以繁榮發展,如果維持曾經持續了一萬年的 全新紀的環境穩定性,人類可以再發展十五萬年。
But this depends on choosing a voluntary simplicity,growing qualitatively, not quantitatively.
但這決定于我們的選擇,要自發地求簡、求質,而不是求數量。
So in 1900, as you can see, we were well within the limits of safety.
在二十世紀初,你們能看到, 我們還處在安全的限度以內。
Now, in 1950 came the great acceleration.
到二十世紀五十年代, 社會的發展速度有了極大提升。
Now hold your breath, not too long, to imagine what comes next.
請屏住呼吸,快速想一下, 接下來會發生什么吧。
Now we have vastly overrun some of the planetary boundaries.
如今我們在很多方面大幅超出地球限度。
Just to take biodiversity, at the current rate,
以生物多樣性來說吧,按現有速度,
by 2050, 30 percent of all species on Earth will have disappeared.
到2050年,地球上30%的物種將會消失。
Even if we keep their DNA in some fridge, that's not going to be reversible.
即便我們冷藏其DNA,消失的物種也不能復原。
So here I am sitting in front of a 7,000-meter-high, 21,000-foot glacier in Bhutan.
照片中的我坐在不丹境內七千米高, 也就是兩萬一千英尺高的冰川前。
At the Third Pole, 2,000 glaciers are melting fast, faster than the Arctic.
在第三極點,兩千米高的冰川在迅速融化, 速度比北極融化的還要快。
So what can we do in that situation?
這種情況下我們能做些什么呢?
Well, however complex politically, economically, scientifically the question of the environment is,it simply boils down to a question of altruism versus selfishness.
環境問題盡管充斥著政治、經濟、學術等諸多因素,但可以歸結為一點:是利他,還是利己。
I'm a Marxist of the Groucho tendency.
我是格勞喬馬克思主義者。
Groucho Marx said, "Why should I care about future generations?
格勞喬馬克思說過, 我為什么要為后代考慮呢?
What have they ever done for me?
他們為我做過什么嗎?