
'Mr Scrooge?' asked the gentleman, surprised.
“斯克羅吉先生嗎?”紳士驚奇地問。
'Yes, that's my name. I'm very sorry for what I said to you when you visited me yesterday.
“是的,我是斯克羅吉。我為我昨天所說的話感到抱歉。
Will you please—' and he spoke very quietly in the gentleman's ear.
你可以——”他悄悄地對著紳士的耳朵說。
'Good Heavens!' cried the gentleman. 'My dear Mr Scrooge,are you serious?'
“我的天哪!”紳士大聲說道,“我親愛的斯克羅吉先生,你是當真嗎?”
'I am. Not a shilling less.
“我說話算數。一先令也不會少。
I must tell you, I haven't given anything to anyone for years.'
我必須告訴你,若干年來,我從未給過任何人任何東西。”
'My dear sir!' said the gentleman, shaking hands with him.
“我親愛的先生!”紳士說著并同他握手。
'I don't know how to thank you for—'
“這——我不知道該如何感激您。”
'Don't say anything, please,' replied Scrooge.
“請什么也不要說,”斯克羅吉回答說。
'Will you come and see me tomorrow about it?'
“你明天能就此事來見我嗎?”
'I will!' cried the old gentleman happily.
“我會的。”老紳士高興地大聲說。
'Thank you, and God bless you!' said Scrooge.
“謝謝你,愿上帝保佑你!”斯克羅吉說。
He went to church, and watched the people, and gave children money for sweets, and discovered that he had never been so happy in his life.
他去做了禮拜,看著教堂里的人們,給孩子們錢去買糖果,他發現他一生中從未這樣幸福過。
In the afternoon he went to his nephew's house He passed the door several times before he was brave enough to knock.
下午他去了他外甥家。他在門前走了好幾趟,因為他沒有勇氣敲門。
But at last he did it,and was taken into the sitting-room, where Fred and his pretty wife were waiting for their friends to arrive for dinner.
但最后他還是敲了,他被帶進了起居室,弗雷德和他漂亮的妻子正在這兒等著他們的朋友來吃晚飯。
'Fred!' said Scrooge. 'It's your uncle Scrooge.
“弗雷德!”斯克羅吉說。“我是你舅舅斯克羅吉,
I've come to dinner. Will you let me stay, Fred?'
我是來吃晚飯的。你會留我嗎,弗雷德?”
Let him stay! Fred almost shook his uncle's arm off.
讓他留下。弗雷德都快把他舅舅的胳膊搖掉了。
Scrooge felt at home in five minutes.
5分鐘后斯克羅吉就不再拘束了。
Nothing could be merrier. And what a wonderful dinner they had!
沒有什么比這更快樂了。他們的晚餐真是棒極了!
Wonderful party, wonderful games, wonderful happiness!
絕妙的晚會,絕妙的游戲,無與倫比的幸福!
But he was early at the office next morning. Oh, he was there early.
但第二天早晨他早早地趕到了辦公室。噢,他到的很早.
He wanted to catch Bob Cratchit arriving late. And he did!
他想抓住鮑勃來晚了,他確實抓到了!
The clock struck nine. No Bob. A quarter past. No Bob.
鐘敲了9點,鮑勃沒來。過了一刻鐘,鮑勃還是沒來。
He was eighteen and a half minutes late when he finally hurried in.
當他匆忙進來的時候,他遲到了18分半。
Scrooge was sitting with his office door open.
斯克羅吉坐在那兒,他辦公室的門敞開著。