Oh, wonderful! wonderful!
噢,太美妙了!太美妙了!
'What's today?' he cried, calling down to a boy in the street.
“今天是什么日子?”他叫住街上的一個男孩大聲地問。
'Today?' replied the boy, in great surprise. 'Why, it's Christmas Day!'
“今天?”孩子大為吃驚地回答說,“怎么啦,今天是圣誕節!”
'So I haven't missed it!' thought Scrooge. 'The spirits have done it all in one night!'
“所以我沒錯過它!”斯克羅吉想,“幽靈們在一夜之間做完了這些事情!”
He called down to the boy again, 'Hallo, young man! Do you know the meat shop at the corner of the next street? '
他又叫那個男孩停下,“喂,小孩!你認識下一條街角的那家肉店嗎?”
'Of course I do,' replied the boy.
“當然認識。”男孩回答說。
'What an intelligent boy!' said Scrooge.
“多聰明的孩子啊!”斯克羅吉說。
'Do you know if they've sold the big turkey that was in the shop window yesterday?'
“你知道他們昨天有沒有把櫥窗里最大的火雞賣掉?”
'What, the one as big as me?' asked the boy.
“什么,那只像我這么大的火雞?”男孩問。
'What a delightful boy!' said Scrooge.
“多么可愛的孩子啊!”斯克羅吉說,
'It's wonderful talking to him. Yes, that's the one!'
“同他說話真是太好了。是的,就是那只!”
'It's still there in the window,' said the boy.
“它還在櫥窗里擺著呢。”男孩說。
'Is it?' said Scrooge. 'Well, go and buy it.'
“是嗎?”斯克羅吉說。“那好,你去把它買下來。”
'You don't mean it!' cried the boy.
“你不是這意思吧!”男孩大聲說。
'I do, I do. I'm serious. Go and buy it, and tell the man to bring it back here.
“我是這意思,我是這意思。我沒開玩笑。去把它買下來,并讓店主送到這兒來。
Come back with the man and I'll give you a shilling.
你和店主一起回來,我就給你一先令。
Come back in less than five minutes and I'll give you three shillings!'
如果在5分鐘之內回來我就給你三個先令!”
The boy went off like a bullet from a gun.
男孩像出了槍膛的子彈一樣很快消失了。
'I'll send the turkey to Bob Cratchit's!' laughed Scrooge.
“我要把這只火雞送給鮑勃·克拉奇蒂一家!”斯克羅吉笑了
'He'll never know who's sent it! It's twice as big as Tiny Tim! Ha ha ha!'
“他永遠也不會知道是誰送去的!它比小蒂姆還大一倍!哈哈哈!”
He went on laughing as he wrote Bob's address, gave it to the man with the turkey, and paid for a taxi, because the turkey was much too heavy to carry all the way to Camden Town.
他一邊寫鮑勃的地址一邊笑著,他把地址遞給了那個抱著火雞的人,并叫了一輛出租車付了費,因為那只火雞太沉了,無法一路抱到卡姆登鎮。
Now he finished dressing, and went out into the streets, wearing his best clothes.
現在他穿好了衣服,他穿著他最好的衣服出去來到了街上。
The town was full of happy, busy people, and Scrooge smiled at all of them.
鎮子上到處都是幸福、忙碌的人們,斯克羅吉對每個人都微笑著。
Three or four men said cheerfully to him, 'Good morning,sir! And a merry Christmas to you!'
有三四個人高興地對他說:“早上好,先生!祝你圣誕快樂!”
Scrooge thought these were the best sounds that he had ever heard.
斯克羅吉覺得這是他曾經聽到過的最美妙的聲音。
As he was walking, he suddenly noticed one of the comfortable-looking gentlemen who had come to his office to ask for money for the poor.
他走著走著忽然發現了曾經到他辦公室為窮人要錢,長相英俊的一位紳士。
Scrooge went straight up to him, took the old gentleman by both hands, and said,
斯克羅吉徑直朝他走去,握住那位老先生的雙手說,
'My dear sir, how are you? A merry Christmas to you, sir!'
“我親愛的先生,你好嗎?祝你圣誕快樂,先生!”