'My dears,' he said to his children, 'one of these days some of you will marry and leave home.
“我親愛的孩子們,”他對他們說,“總有一天你們中的一個孩子要結婚離開家,
In a few year's time perhaps all of you will. But I'm sure none of us will ever forget Tiny Tim, will we?'
幾年之內你們都會這樣的,但我認為我們誰也不會忘記小蒂姆,是嗎?”
'Never, father!' they all cried.
“永遠不會的,爸爸!”他們都哭了。
'And I know,' said Bob, 'that when we remember how patient and gentle he was, although he was only a little child, we won't argue among ourselves.
“我知道,”鮑勃說,“當我們記起他是何等的有耐心何等的彬彬有禮時,盡管他還是個小孩子,我們的看法還是一致的。
We'll remember poor Tiny Tim, and love each other!'
我們將會記住小蒂姆,并互愛。”
'We will, father!' they all cried again.
“我們會的,爸爸!”他們又都哭了。
'I am very happy,' said Bob.
“我很高興,”鮑勃說。
'I am very happy!'mrs Cratchit kissed him, his daughters kissed him, the two young Cratchits kissed him, and he and Peter shook hands.
“我很高興!”克拉奇蒂太太吻了他,他的女兒們吻了他,兩個小克拉奇蒂吻了他,他和彼得握了手。
Tiny Tim, your goodness lives on in your family!
小蒂姆,你的美德會永駐于你的家庭中的!
'Spirit,' said Scrooge, 'I know that you will leave me soon.
“幽靈,”斯克羅吉說,“我知道一會兒你就要離開我了。
Tell me who that dead man on the bed was!'
告訴我床上的死人是誰!”
No answer came in words, but the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come took Scrooge through the streets of London again.
沒有回答的聲音,但“來日圣誕”鬼魂帶著斯克羅吉再一次地穿越了倫敦的大街。
'Wait a moment,' said Scrooge.
“等一會兒,”斯克羅吉說。
'We're passing my office. Let me see how I shall look in the future!'
“我們正在經過我的辦公室,讓我看看我將來是什么樣子!”
The spirit stopped. Its hand was pointing away from the office.
幽靈停了下來。它的手并沒有指著辦公室,
But Scrooge hurried up to the window and looked in.
但斯克羅吉匆忙走到窗前往里看了看,
It was an office still, but not his.
還是間辦公室,但已不屬于他了。
The furniture was not the same, and the figure in the chair was not himself.
家具變了,椅子里坐著的也不是他自己了。
The ghost continued to point onwards, and Scrooge followed.
鬼魂繼續朝前指,斯克羅吉跟著。
They reached a church, and entered the churchyard.
他們來到一座教堂前,進了教堂的院落。
Here, among the untidy graves and the uncut grass, lay the miserable man whose name Scrooge would soon learn.
在這里不整齊的墳墓和未修剪的雜草中躺著一個可憐的人,一會兒斯克羅吉就會知道他是誰。
It was a lonely place, most suitable for a man so unloved.
這是一個冷清的地方,對一個如此不受愛戴的人來說這兒再合適不過了。