Now, I'm an ethnobotanist.
我是名民族植物學家。
That's a scientist who works in the rainforest to document how people use local plants.
我在熱帶雨林工作,記錄人們如何使用當地植物。
I've been doing this for a long time,and I want to tell you,these people know these forests and these medicinal treasures better than we do and better than we ever will.
我做這項工作很久了,我可以告訴大家,這些人對當地森林和里面醫藥珍寶的了的比我們多得多,永遠多得多。
But also, these cultures, these indigenous cultures,are disappearing much faster than the forests themselves.
但是,這些文化,這些土著文化,消失得比森林還快。
And the greatest and most endangered species in the Amazon Rainforest is not the jaguar,it's not the harpy eagle,it's the isolated and uncontacted tribes.
在亞馬遜熱帶雨林中,最偉大而最瀕危的物種不是美洲豹,也不是美洲角雕,而是與世隔絕的人類部落。
Now four years ago, I injured my foot in a climbing accident and I went to the doctor.
四年前,我在爬山時傷了腳,我去看醫生。
She gave me heat, she gave me cold, aspirin, narcotic painkillers, anti-inflammatories, cortisone shots.
她給我進行熱療,進行冰療,用阿司匹林,用麻醉止痛劑,抗炎藥,注射可的松。
It didn't work.
沒有療效。
Several months later, I was in the northeast Amazon, walked into a village, and the shaman said, You're limping.
幾個月后,我在亞馬遜東北部,我走進一個村落,薩滿說,你跛了。
And I'll never forget this as long as I live.
這一幕我一生都不會忘記。
He looked me in the face and he said, Take off your shoe and give me your machete.
他看著我的臉,對我說,脫鞋,把你的砍刀給我。
He walked over to a palm tree and carved off a fern, threw it in the fire, applied it to my foot, threw it in a pot of water, and had me drink the tea.
他走向一棵棕櫚樹,切下來一片蕨,扔到火里,然后敷在我腳上,然后又扔進了一壺水中,讓我把那個當茶喝了。
The pain disappeared for seven months.
整整七個月,我再也沒疼過。
When it came back, I went to see the shaman again.
復發后,我又去見薩滿。
He gave me the same treatment,and I've been cured for three years now.
他對我進行同樣的療法,現在我已經痊愈三年了。
Who would you rather be treated by?
你想讓誰給你治?。?/p>
Now, make no mistake a Western medicine is the most successful system of healing ever devised, but there's plenty of holes in it.
別誤會西醫是人類發明的最成功的醫療體系,但它也有缺陷。
Where's the cure for breast cancer?
乳腺癌的療法在哪里?
Where's the cure for schizophrenia?
神經分裂癥的療法在哪里?
Where's the cure for acid reflux?
胃酸倒流的療法在哪里?
Where's the cure for insomnia?
失眠癥的療法在哪里?
The fact is that these people can sometimes, sometimes, sometimes cure things we cannot.
事實是,這些土著人在有些時候,能治療我們治不了的病。
Here you see a medicine man in the northeast Amazon treating leishmaniasis, a really nasty protozoal disease that afflicts 12 million people around the world.
這是一位亞馬遜東北部的藥師在治療利什曼病。利什曼病是一種非常惡心的原蟲疾病,全世界超過一千兩百萬人受其困擾。
Western treatment are injections of antimony.
西醫的療法是進行銻注射。
They're painful, they're expensive, and they're probably not good for your heart; it's a heavy metal.
這種療法讓人很痛苦,也很昂貴,而且這種療法對病人的心臟也可能有副作用。銻是重金屬。
This man cures it with three plants from the Amazon Rainforest.
這名藥師能用三種亞馬遜雨林的草藥來進行治療。
This is the magic frog.
這個是魔蛙。
My colleague, the late great Loren McIntyre, discoverer of the source lake of the Amazon, Laguna McIntyre in the Peruvian Andes, was lost on the Peru-Brazil border about 30 years ago.
我已故的同事洛倫?麥金太爾,他發現了亞馬遜的河源湖,秘魯安第斯的麥金太爾湖,他30年前在秘魯巴西邊境迷路了。