40 years later, aero experts coined the term transonic.
40年后空氣動力學專家創造了跨音速這個術語。
They debated, should it have one S or two?
他們爭論這個術語應該用一個S,還是兩個S?
You see, they were having trouble in this flight regime,and it wasn't at all clear that we could fly faster than the speed of sound.
你也明白,實際上他們是對該飛機體系有疑問,我們能否飛得比音速還快,那時還未得到解答。
In 1947, there was no wind tunnel data beyond Mach 0.85.
1947年那時還沒有風洞實驗數據,只有0.85馬赫這個數據。
And yet, on Tuesday, October 14th, 1947, Chuck Yeager climbed into the cockpit of his Bell X-1 and he flew towards an unknown possibility, and in so doing.
然而,1947年10月14日,星期二,查克雅戈爾爬進他的貝爾X-1號的座艙。他飛向了未知的可能性,他不停地飛。
He became the first pilot to fly faster than the speed of sound.
最終,他成為了第一個超音速飛行的飛行員。
Six of eight Atlas rockets blew up on the pad.
八個阿特拉斯火箭中有六個爆炸在發射臺上。
After 11 complete mission failures,we got our first images from space.
在11次徹底任務失敗后,我們看到了首張宇宙圖像。
And on that first flight we got more data than in all U-2 missions combined.
而在那個首次飛行上我們獲得了比所有U-2任務加起來還要多的數據。
It took a lot of failures to get there.
失敗了很多次才最終取得成功。
Since we took to the sky, we have wanted to fly faster and farther.
自從我們飛上天空后,我們就想飛得更快更遠。
And to do so,we've had to believe in impossible things.
為此目的,我們應該相信不可能的事情。
And we've had to refuse to fear failure.
并且我們應該反對懼怕失敗。
That's still true today.
這個觀點現在依然正確。
Today, we don't talk about flying transonically,or even supersonically, we talk about flying hypersonically not Mach 2 or Mach 3, Mach 20.
今天,我們談的不是跨音速飛行,甚至超音速飛行,我們談的是特超音速飛行,不是2馬赫或者3馬赫,而是20馬赫。
At Mach 20, we can fly from New York to Long Beach in 11 minutes and 20 seconds.
在20馬赫的速度下,我們可以在11分鐘20秒內。從紐約飛到長灘。
At that speed, the surface of the airfoil is the temperature of molten steel 3,500 degrees Fahrenheit like a blast furnace.
在這個速度下,機翼表面溫度是鋼水的溫度,華氏3,500度,就像一個高爐一樣。
We are essentially burning the airfoil as we fly it.
在我們飛行時,我們實質上是在燃燒機翼。
And we are flying it, or trying to.
而我們正在這樣飛或者在嘗試這樣飛。
DARPA's hypersonic test vehicle is the fastest maneuvering aircraft ever built.
DARPA的特超音速測試飛機是前所未有的人類制造的最快的機動飛機。
It's boosted to near-space atop a Minotaur IV rocket.
這架飛機提升到了近太空的位置在米諾陶4火箭上空飛行。
Now the Minotaur IV has too much impulse,so we have to bleed it off by flying the rocket at an 89 degree angle of attack for portions of the trajectory.
但是米諾陶4火箭的推力太強大,為了減緩其推力,我們得讓火箭在部分運行軌跡以89度攻擊角來運行。