You should be nice to nerds.
你們要對書呆子好點。
In fact, I'd go so far as to say, if you don't already have a nerd in your life, you should get one.
實際上,我想說如果你生活里還沒有個書呆子趕緊找一個。
I'm just saying.
我也就是說說而已。
Scientists and engineers change the world.
科學家和工程師們改變這個世界。
I'd like to tell you about a magical place called DARPA where scientists and engineers defy the impossible and refuse to fear failure.
我想談談個神奇的地方,叫DARPA美國國防部高級研究計劃局。在那兒科學家和工程師們都喜歡挑戰不可能的事情,不懼怕失敗。
Now these two ideas are connected more than you may realize, because when you remove the fear of failure,impossible things suddenly become possible.
現在,這兩個觀點聯系緊密超乎你的想象,因為當你擺脫了對失敗的恐懼,不可能的事情,就突然變成可能。
If you want to know how, ask yourself this question:
如果你想知道如何做到,那么,先問自己這樣一個問題:
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
如果你知道自己不會失敗你會打算做什么?
If you really ask yourself this question,you can't help but feel uncomfortable.
如果你真的問自己這個問題,你會禁不住感到不舒服。
I feel a little uncomfortable.
我覺得有點不舒服。
Because when you ask it,you begin to understand how the fear of failure constrains you,how it keeps us from attempting great things, and life gets dull,amazing things stop happening.
因為當你這樣問的時候,你就開始明白失敗的恐懼怎樣束縛了你,怎樣阻礙了我們追求偉大的事情,生活變得無趣,奇妙的事情不再發生。
Sure, good things happen, but amazing things stop happening.
當然,好事情還是有,但是神奇的事情不再發生了。
Now I should be clear, I'm not encouraging failure, I'm discouraging fear of failure.
現在,我要說明一點,我不是在鼓勵失敗。我在反對。懼怕失敗。
Because it's not failure itself that constrains us.
因為不是失敗本身束縛了我們。
The path to truly new, never-been-done-before things always has failure along the way.
在通往真正新鮮沒有人做過的事情的路上總會有失敗。
We're tested.
我們受到了考驗。
And in part, that testing feels an appropriate part of achieving something great.
而考驗是我們獲得巨大成功的應有條件。
Clemenceau said, Life gets interesting when we fail, because it's a sign that we've surpassed ourselves.
克里蒙梭說過:在我們失敗時,生活變有趣了,因為它表明了我們超越了自己。
In 1895, Lord Kelvin declared that heavier-than-air flying machines were impossible.
1895年,開爾文爵士宣稱,重過空氣的飛行器都是不可能飛起來的。
In October of the prevailing opinion of expert aerodynamicists was that maybe in 10 million years we could build an aircraft that would fly.
1903, 1903年10月,動力學專家。普遍認為千萬年以后人類才能造出能飛的飛機。
And two months later on December 17th, Orville Wright powered the first airplane across a beach in North Carolina.
但是兩個月后,12月17日,奧維爾賴特駕駛第一架飛機飛過了北卡羅來納州的一個沙灘。
The flight lasted 12 seconds and covered 120 feet.
這次飛行持續了12秒鐘行程為120英尺。
That was 1903.
那是1903年。
One year later, the next declarations of impossibilities began.
一年后又一個不可能宣言開始了。
Ferdinand Foch, a French army general credited with having one of the most original and subtle minds in the French army, said, Airplanes are interesting toys,but of no military value.
斐迪南福煦,法國軍隊中一位將軍,他被人們贊譽具有最原始的和微妙的思想之一,他說:飛機是個好玩的玩具,但是毫無軍用價值。